Holiday Spiced Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I have gratuitously stolen Yooper's converted PM Oatmeal Stout recipe, and have since then adulterated it with spices as per my SWMBOs request. If you can give suggestions on spice quantities and preparation of spices, I would appreciate it. Full recipe at end of post

Spices are whole/fresh, unless otherwise specified.
1.00 Ea Cinnamon Stick 5 min (boil)
2.00 quarter sized slices of Ginger 0 min (boil)
2.00 Tbl Nutmeg, freshly ground 0 min (boil)
4.00 Ea Cloves 0 min (boil)
2.00 Ea Vanilla Bean, split 0 min (boil)

Should I powder the cloves? are any of these spices better in secondary than at flameout? About how long should I let this primary? From start to finish, do I have a shot at Christmas if I do it on 5OCT?

TIA

Homage to Yooper

Recipe:

2 pounds maris otter
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale)
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

3 lbs light dry extract @ 10 minutes

Spices:

1.00 Ea Cinnamon Stick 5 min (boil)
2.00 quarter sized slices of Ginger 0 min (boil)
2.00 Tbl Nutmeg ground 0 min (boil)
4.00 Ea Cloves 0 min (boil)
2.00 Ea Vanilla Bean, split 0 min (boil)

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

Bring 9 quarts of water to 169 degrees, in a large pot. If you have room, add the grain bag(s) with the grain to this pot. If not, you can use a cooler/bottling bucket/whatever. Stir well, to thoroughly wet the grains and make sure it's between 152-158 degrees. Cover, insulate with a blanket or something and let sit for an hour. After an hour, drain the liquid from the grains. You should have about 1.5 gallons of liquid. Pour hot water over the grain bags, up to your boil volume. Ideally, you'd have room for 2 more gallons or so. Stir well, and drain again. Add that to the liquid you already have and bring that to a boil.

Once boiling add the hops as in the original recipe.

At 10 minutes left in the boil, take off the heat and add a can of Alexanders pale malt extract (4 pounds liquid) and stir well. Or you can add 3 pounds light dry extract. Both will work. Stir well, bring back to a boil, and boil 5 minutes. Take off the heat and cool. Top up to 5 gallons.

So much of spicing is about personal tastes... Also, sharp spice flavors will mellow with aging. So, if you only have 2 months until you plan on imbibing this brew, I would err to the lighter side of any spice ranges you find. Some spices can be very distracting when too strong!

So here are a few suggestions, some from personal experience, others from web research. Feel free to take the ones you agree with, and ignore the others... :)

For 5-gallon batch:

All-spice, whole seeds 0.2 oz. Boil 45m
Cinnamon, sticks 2-4 sticks Boil 30m
Clove, whole buds 5-10 buds Boil 30m
Ginger, sliced raw 1-6 oz. Boil 15m
Nutmeg, ground 0.1 oz Boil 30m
Vanilla bean pod 2 pods Split, soak in Vodka a week, add to secondary or at bottling

From just searching the posts on HBT, there are lots of variance on what folks recommend. So take good notes, and over a few brews, you'll find what works best for your tastes!

Happy brewing!
--LexusChris

Back