Dry hop amount...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Is there a ratio of hop ounces to beer gravity for dry hopping? I am looking to dry hop my Imperial Red, OG 1.085, and I don't know if I should throw in two or three ounces. I don't want to over/under do it, so I was wondering if there might be some rule of ratios I don't know about. For example, the higher the OG, the more hops to dry hop with. I know this all a matter of personal preference too, but opinions are good to hear.

Also, the hops I was planning to use are Cascade, Centennial, and prehaps Simcoe if I use a third ounce. Will the simcoe have a negative effect if paired with Cascade and Centennial, which are similar hops? Thanks :mug:

I'd start with 2 ounces and taste it after a week or so. If it's not up to where you want it to be, add the other ounce and let it sit for another week.

Imo,dry hopping with 3oz of those hops sounds like an imperial red ipa,or something.? The red ales I've tasted don't seem have that much hops in it.

I just dry hopped today with 1 oz Amarillo and .5 oz Simcoe. Seems like Simcoe lends a more earthy hop aroma whereas Cascade will give you that good citrus/grapefruit punch in the face. Sounds like a good combo for complexity in the aroma... I say go for it and add all 3 ounces since it'll only be dry hopping for 4-5 days. However, red ales are usually fairly balanced, if not on the malty side, but I think the amount of malt you used to get that OG will hold up to a pretty hefty amount of hops.

I guess all I'm saying is if you want to keep it in the red ale style, go with less hops. If you want it to be sort of a hybrid "red IPA," give it more. Either way, it sounds delicious!

Hmmm,boy,there's a tough choice. To boldly go where no HB'r has gone before,or be true to tradition? Since trying my 1st IPA on my b-day (3/31),I'm starting to lean towards "Imperial Red IPA". But I also like the malt forward English styles. OMG,what have I done? (Young Frankenstein voice).

Back