Turkey Fryer setup with timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knelson

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a turkey fryer with a 30qt pot for my first brew awhile back. I didnt notice that it had a 20 minute timer on it. Basically its like a kitchen timer that you turn and once it hits the 20 minute mark it dings and then the flame goes out.

I should have checked before I bought it, but was so excited it didnt even occur to me. Does anyone else have one of these? Its a pain in the butt because you have to watch it closely so you dont lose your flame midway through the boil.

I thought of drilling a screw through the timer knob to keep the timer engaged all the time but am a little worried that if the timer goes bad that it may ruin the whole set up. I also though of taping it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I had one and it was really nothing to fret about. Unless you bring to a boil add ingredients and walk away from an hour it shouldn’t be a big deal. Mine ended up breaking and I just bought hose and regulator that was a higher quality. On the bright side you can use it as a timer to remind you its time to add more hops or do a late extract addition.

Someone at teach a friend to brew day had one, it was a pain to have to remember to hit the safety button. I think we ended up bashing the heck out of it or cutting it away or something. IIRc on his, the safety unit was not right at the regulator but a couple inches down the hose, and we bypassed it...it was a few months back and details are foggy, but I know he managed to get through brew day.

You might want to shop around and see if you can find an old school propane regulator.

My fryer does the same thing, 20 min timer. I knew that wouldn't work for me. I haven't figured out a permanent fix yet, but when i get ready to brew, i turn the timer all the way and then clamp a pair of vice grips on the knob. Just the weight of the vice grips hanging on the knob will keep the timer from running. You dont need to clamp it down hard. Just enough so they'll stay on.

i have the same one i think i got it from basspro, i also bought a 8 gallon stainless brew pot, i have no problems with the timer, but the burner sucks when i turn it down to keep a maintainable boil i cant adjust the burner to keep it from getting soot all over my pot the burner sucks!!!

Back