yuengling oktoberfes tasting notes question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I'm not looking to get all BJCP snobberific but in an attempt to study for my tasting exam, anytime I travel now I'll always hit a local store and build a 6 pack of random brews. While back east this week I snagged a sixer of random Oktoberfests which is a style I enjoy alot.

I studied the guidelines and did some tasting to try and calibrate my brain. I came across something and wondered if I'm miscatogorizing the odor....

In Yuengling Oktoberfest after letting the glass sit for 30 seconds or so then cramming my schnoz in the glass for a whiff, I'm getting notes of caramel.... I'd bet good money on it. Once you inhale deeply and smell, the caramel note seems to be gone for a second sniff.... unless you let the glass stit still a while.

According to the BJCP guidelines, a caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Kind of considered Yuengling as a traditional brewery and figured they would brew to style.

Anyone else have some handy? Is my nose fooling me? FYI the beer is decent.

I've never really considered Yuengling's Oktoberfest a true Marzen. To me, it taste like their lager with a touch of crystal malt. I guess it would be better considered their fall seasonal. Hopefully you got a Victory Festbier while you were out east. That beer is more in line with a true 'Oktoberfest' in my opinion.

I've never really considered Yuengling's Oktoberfest a true Marzen. To me, it taste like their lager with a touch of crystal malt. I guess it would be better considered their fall seasonal. Hopefully you got a Victory Festbier while you were out east. That beer is more in line with a true 'Oktoberfest' in my opinion.

oh ****, no i passed on the victory (even though i love golden monkey) might have to go back out.

the crystal malt would explain it tho!

Back