How long will a WYeast Smack-Pack last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehlgood

Reaction score
Help! i smacked a smack pack and now I want to take my smack back!

The long and short of it is I accidentally smacked my smack-pack immediately after I bought it and I dont need it until 5 days from now. I immediately stuck it in the fridge at 38ºF. Will it last 5 days?

Short answer: Yes
Longer answer: You'll want to let it warm up normally (remove it from the fridge before you start brewing) so that it will get to room temp and the yeast will all wake up. If the pack isn't swelled up fully, then see if you get any additional swelling from it.

Of course, depending on the OG (and batch size) of what you'll be brewing you could also be well served by making a starter. 5 days should be enough time to get the starter to finish AND have enough time to cold crash it so you can decant and pitch just the yeast slurry.

Of course, depending on the OG (and batch size) of what you'll be brewing you could also be well served by making a starter. 5 days should be enough time to get the starter to finish AND have enough time to cold crash it so you can decant and pitch just the yeast slurry.

^this for sure

Never used to make a starter until i did...couple beers down sorry:mug:
5 days is perfect 48-72 hours fermenting 24 hours cold crashing.
starters are fine in the fridge for a couple days while loosing minimal viability.

Back