Filter through fruit at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyIsTheRoger

Reaction score
If I were to use a randall-like device to filter a beer through fruit or coffee grounds, etc. in the middle of the hose to the bottling wand, would the beer pick up enough flavor to be noticeable or would you not be able to tell?

Also, would there be a risk of oxidation you think? Just a random late night idea, thinking about bottling a stout cider graff later this week. (cranberries are the idea right now)

Oxidation would be the issue methinks. You would be better off sticking it in secondary.

At least one problem with that technique is there's no control of uniformity. Hence I would expect the first bottles would taste far different from the last.

Such additions are best done in batch mode for that reason...

Cheers!

The reason I thought this up is because the 1 gal jugs I ordered are out of stock and I was going to split up my secondary, but don't have anything to do that now, I was just trying to come up with a hacked together back up plan so I could still try the different ideas, and still empty my primary for this saturday's brew day.

Thanks for the thoughts

Back