Lid wasnt on tight! Uh-oh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
So i pitched my yeast and put the lid on. And then twelve hours later i noticed the lid wasnt on all the way, one part wa snt snapped down. Is this ok? what could happen. Also its been a little over 24 hours and theres some yellow foamy stuff in my airlock(which is filled with vodka) im assuming its just from the krausen? This has never happened before though thats why im asking. its a cream ale using light LME and wheat DME and maltodextrin. temp at pitching was 85F and then cooled down to 72F. it took about 18 hours for fermentation to begin with a white labs cream ale yeast tube. Is it ok?

No worries. Seal up the lid. You'll be fine. If you had an active enough fermentation to get krausen in the airlock then I wouldn't fret about the seal not being tight on the lid. 72 is a tad warm for ambient temperature during fermentation, thats probably why it was so aggressive.

you've got no problem. In fact, if it was vigorous enough to leave krausen in the airlock, you may have initially sealed the lid completely only to have it forced off. No worries either way

Back