Karl Strauss Wreck Alley Extract Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
YES! I know! It won't be the same, but can someone help me modify this recipe for extract brewing?

70% 2row
4.5% C60
4.5% C80
2.5% Chocolate malt
2.5 Roasted barley
2.5% debittered black malt
5.7% rolled oats

Yeast WLP001

Mash temp high
finish gravity is about 5P
OG 21P
Hop variety does not matter much first and last additions 25 IBU total
Dry hop with equal amounts of light roast whole coffee beans and coconibs for about 2 days before kegging.

--> I will be doing a 5 gallon batch. If you'd rather tell me HOW to convert it, rather than what the final conversion would be, I'll gladly accept that as well.

I loved this beer so much - its the perfect beer :drunk:

YES! I know! It won't be the same, but can someone help me modify this recipe for extract brewing?

70% 2row
4.5% C60
4.5% C80
2.5% Chocolate malt
2.5 Roasted barley
2.5% debittered black malt
5.7% rolled oats

Yeast WLP001

Mash temp high
finish gravity is about 5P
OG 21P
Hop variety does not matter much first and last additions 25 IBU total
Dry hop with equal amounts of light roast whole coffee beans and coconibs for about 2 days before kegging.

--> I will be doing a 5 gallon batch. If you'd rather tell me HOW to convert it, rather than what the final conversion would be, I'll gladly accept that as well.

I loved this beer so much - its the perfect beer :drunk:

I know I am late to respond. But you seem to be borrowing from:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=358624

for 5 gallon batch percentages are still percentages. Just pick your gravity and roll with it.

For 9.5% ABV or so and 5 Gallons go with:
15 lbs of 2-row
1 lb C60
1 lb C80
1 lb oats
0.5 black malt
0.5 Chocolate malt
0.5 Roasted Barley

Add enough hops to get to 25 IBU and add WLP-001. Enjoy.

Are you brewing an extract version or cloning an extract version? I'm confused.

If you are doing AG, I'd up the roasted barley a little or maybe a lot. I'd use 1lb and reduce the black malt a little.

I agree that beer is great. It was first brewed about 2 miles from my house at the Karl 4S Ranch location. Love me a tulip glass of this goodness.

Subscribed...

I left San Diego last year, and I only have one bottle of their Peanut Butter Cup Porter left and no Wreck Alley. I only have the capability of doing extract brewing, and the possibility of brewing something similar without a lot of trial and error would be great.

Actually I just looked at the date of the original post. lol I suppose there won't be much happening here.

Subscribed...

I left San Diego last year, and I only have one bottle of their Peanut Butter Cup Porter left and no Wreck Alley. I only have the capability of doing extract brewing, and the possibility of brewing something similar without a lot of trial and error would be great.

Actually I just looked at the date of the original post. lol I suppose there won't be much happening here.

I really like Wreck Alley. It's under-valued tasty stout of rather high quality. I like to root for underdogs, will be brewing this one soon.
SO I decided to resurrect this thread as a "shout-out" to Wreck Alley.

Are you brewing an extract version or cloning an extract version? I'm confused.

If you are doing AG, I'd up the roasted barley a little or maybe a lot. I'd use 1lb and reduce the black malt a little.

I agree that beer is great. It was first brewed about 2 miles from my house at the Karl 4S Ranch location. Love me a tulip glass of this goodness.

I'm doing extract. I don't know why someone replied with AG

I converted the recipe to extract using beer smith today. I'll pm the extract recipe to you when I get home if you'd like.

I converted the recipe to extract using beer smith today. I'll pm the extract recipe to you when I get home if you'd like.

Just post it up on here. I think I eventually got the recipe on my home computer, but if others search for this, it would be nice if it was easily found!

:mug:

Keep in mind I have not brewed this myself, I only converted the supplied recipe using beer smith. Therefore, I can not comment on how close this will actually resemble Wreck Alley. This does not list the cacao nibs or coffee either, so you will need to do that as well.

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 9.00.09 AM.png

Latest posts

Back