Hops rising against me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. During my boil, my hops rise to the edge of the brew pot and are no longer suspended in the boil. I keep using a ladel to work them back into the pot. Am I wasting my time? Are there enough hops left in the liquid that the bittering will work and I don't need to worry about it?

I'm using pellet hops and no hop bag. Would a hop bag solve the problem?

Thanks

I would not recommend a bag for a boil for starters. I don't think that will work very well.

Second, you could try a less vigorous boil to help keep the hops in the boil. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Occaisionally stirring them back in isn't a problem either, since it doesn't take the full 60 minutes to isomerize all of the alpha acids in the hops.

I use a hop bag when using pellets and it works just fine. Also, means there is less trub in the bottom of the kettle. I would also suggest maybe getting a bigger kettle. If they are about to boil out of the kettle, I would say the kettle is too full.

Back