national homebrew day May 7th what's brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing some Lemonade Mead and trying out a new blonde ale recipe, which I affectionately call Unicorn Tears.

Cheers!

Got the starter going for my first Munich Helles style but doing it with Kolsch yeast since I can't quite ferment cold enough for lagers. Even if it turns out more like a Kolsch I'll be happy with it. Last week I tapped my first attempt at a Kolsch and it's so good that it will be gone real soon.

3 AG beer brew-day for me and my brew buddies known as Ransom Note Brewing

1. Amber Bock-style lager to be called Amber Waves of Grain
2. Caspio's BlackHeart Stout to be called Tiger Blood Stout
3. Mirror Pond clone to be called Three Consecutive Primes since we are brewing on 5-7-11

My first EVER brew!!! Just starting out. I've bought a pile of equipment and my buddy who's experienced in the ways is coming over to make sure I don't screw it up.

An American Amber Ale. Extract kit from LHBS.

The brewstore in town is having a cookout and people coming out to brew on premises. I might check that out. I've got plenty of beer stocked up and really have no business making more.

My first EVER brew!!! Just starting out. I've bought a pile of equipment and my buddy who's experienced in the ways is coming over to make sure I don't screw it up.

An American Amber Ale. Extract kit from LHBS.

Don't sweat it. You couldn't have picked a better day to start. I think the Beer Gods will be with you.

Pretty cool thread. I just got done brewing a Miller/Coors/Bud clone for my dead pallete peers at work, and tomorrow I am brewing a Rusky Imperial Stout and a pretty standard IPA.

My buddies that won't drink "dark beers" said they would drink a beer if I could make it taste like Miller Light. I don't really even know why I am friends with them. Perhaps pity? Still, I am hoping that I can save at least one from his own tasteless tongue.

Pretty cool thread. I just got done brewing a Miller/Coors/Bud clone for my dead pallete peers at work, and tomorrow I am brewing a Rusky Imperial Stout and a pretty standard IPA.

My buddies that won't drink "dark beers" said they would drink a beer if I could make it taste like Miller Light. I don't really even know why I am friends with them. Perhaps pity? Still, I am hoping that I can save at least one from his own tasteless tongue.

Ok ok ok..... I just gotta say that if your "buddies" want Miller Lite then let them buy Miller Lite. I wouldn't try to brew to their tastes, I'd make them try each of your beers and hope that maybe one of them will open their palate to new and better choices. Maybe they're not past the point of no return.

LOL, I try. There are a couple of guys that want quality but most of them think it is a travesty if there is no OSHA compliant way to shotgun their beer; which leaves my homebrew out. :D

I'm going over to a Big Brew with friends. There will be at least three rigs running. Not sure what the other guys are brewing, but my brew bud and I are going for an AHS Anniversary Kolsch, a Blonde, and an IPA.

Also, I wanted to see how close I could get. The funny thing is adding rice extract to my wort...the whole time my brew looked like fetid swamp water.

They better drink this crap. I don't need to get drunk that bad and there is only so many warm days in a year to make beer-butt chicken and brats.

I'll be brewing my first non-kit brew. I've combined a few recipes to make a raspberry honey wheat that I'm pretty sure SWMBO will like.

Dead Bastard mashing now - missed the mash temps by a few deg and overfilled the mashtun a little - hoping the rest of the day goes smoother

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.91 %
2 lbs 10.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 23.60 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %
0.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (5 min)

Boiling away now. that's a full 6.5 gallon boil inside on my electric stove, wow it's muggy in here. lol

Cool, i made a mini starter with some extra wort i collected during sparging. already fermenting. maybe a cup and a half. just 10 minutes left in boil. yay!

Happy homebrew day everyone! I started at 9:30 by taking the first taste of a Belgian strong that i bottled about two months ago then I bottled an ordinary bitter and now I've got the saison boiling! If this picture goes through, perhaps you'll see shards of glass in the background…that's what's left of the lid to my kettle. Ah well; I don't need no stinking lid!

image-1109009510.jpg

I've got a hefeweizen mashed in. :mug: Trying a multi-step decoction mash for the first time. I'll be bottling a batch of IPA and a Hopped Up Belgian Blond later :rockin:

Just got done brewing my second AG. Went a lot better then my first one. I did an oatmeal stout. Had my wort chiller start leaking at one of my joints I brazed. It was random because I've already used it 4 times with no problem. Cooing the wort without it was a pain

Just finished up for today - Made a bohemian pils. Not going to claim an easy day, and I kinda winged it and didn't take notes. Starter is rockin and the wort is cooling to 50. Tomorrow I'll cool the starter and pitch.

Happy Homebrewday everyone!

Just finished Liberty Cream Ale for today. Had a great time with a little too much Pranqster since my first batch hasnt finished yet.

I hope you boiled the wort first :tank: :ban:

i said but of course at first, now i'm not sure, i boiled all of the extra wort to can for future starters, but now you have me thinking i mixed the yeast with some first then boiled the rest. if not i hope it will be fine:mug:

Just finished, Amber Ale in the fermenter, and all cleaned up. 5 hrs. i'm tired, but gonna be worth it.

This was our 1st brew on our brew-magic system. It was me and the old lady so the fact divorce papers haven't been served yet I'll say it was a success. In all seriousness, I wanted to start w/ something easy. In brewing a batch on a Sabco system there is mos def a learning curve. Everything worked out though and I can't wait to try it. Gotta give props to Sabco on one thing, that brew-magic system regulated the heat in the mash kettle to a tenth of a degree the entire time. Can't wait to brew again next week.

Picked up the ingredients to make an Irish Red Ale and a Dead Guy Clone, but won't be brewing it until next weekend. However, I did go to the Tampa Bay Brewing Company for dinner and not only did I go with a their sampler, but several other full beers as well. I am hoping we can have a Home Brew Day at least once a week now. :D

rest of the day went much better for me

mashed at 151 instead of 154 but hopefully won't get too dried out

volume was about .25gallon smaller than I planned for but hit my numbers right on at 70% efficiency again.

5 hours all in all with clean up and a 70min mash for my 2nd AG batch

gonna clean myself up and go see Prince with some friends tonight

:mug: to all

Brewed my first IPA with Warrior, Northern Brewer, and Centennial. Now I am cracking open my third brew, a basic wheat.

the house still smells like a brewery, hope it clears out before the boss gets home, she doesn't like the smell. (shame on her) i love it, they should make airfresheners for cars that smell like hops.

I did nothing beer-related today except for drink some Green Flash Hop Head Red.

<-- Bad Homebrewer!! :(

Finished 2 brews today's... Schwartz Bier and Oatmeal stout. AG batches 7 and 8 all went well. Drinking a brown ale ... and eating pizza after clean up... the ladies (all four) returned just as I finished mopping the floor.

I'm working on an AHS 20th aniv IPA extract kit. The kit came with an extra ounce of cascade that I'm not sure what to do with. Suggestions?

Back