national homebrew day May 7th what's brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my 2nd. all grain today...a Citrus Summer Wheat. Adjusted the temps from the first all grain and hit the temps right on :ban:. Now RNWHAHB. Enjoying the Strawberry Blonde I did 2 mos. ago. It finished out at %7.2 and is very smoooooth.

Thanks Jeepin :mug:, my reading comprehension skill are a little lacking today and I've barely taped into the homebrew so the rest of this brew should be interesting.

Did a AHS 20yr wit partial mash today.
Bottled 2 beers - belgian golden & strawberry blonde.
Helped a friend start a 2.5g batch of a centennial ale and ran out of time to do my 2nd batch for the day.

I'll be trying to brew my first all grain biab tomorrow (cream of three crops) and I'll have fun with that because I am subbing popcorn for some of the flaked corn, and I am switching up the hops a bit as well to use what I have on hand.

I missed national brew day because we all went hiking, but I was planning a brew tomorrow. Got everything prepared and even talked about it on the hike today though I am not sure if that counts....

Tomorrow I am finally making a proper Gruit (hopless) ale tomorrow. Managed to get my hands on some dried wormwood, yarrow and bogwort for the recipe.

For me, it's national homebrew day every day. Every reason is good to taste, read about beer, brew, think about upgrading gear, etc.

That being said, I brewed a belgian blonde (1st try).

I'm working tonight, so I didn't brew, but I did take everything apart for cleaning this morning.

I will definitely have a couple homebrewed IPAs when I'm off, though.

I'm working tonight, so I didn't brew, but I did take everything apart for cleaning this morning.

I will definitely have a couple homebrewed IPAs when I'm off, though.

still, very homebrew related. i did my second all grain batch today, Amber Ale. gonna be good. waiting for my bottled Baltic porter or strong brown ale whatever to carbonate, it's good flat. :mug:

On NHD I bottled my all wheat hefeweizen, added blueberry extract to half of the batch, and fired up my second partial mash: a Belgian Style Summer Ale. I threw in way more oats than I was supposed to (supposed to be 50% barley, 40% wheat, 10% oats, ended up being something like 50% barley, 30% wheat, 20% oats) and I accidentally added a pound extra of Pilsen DME. OG was a bit higher, but I am sure it will turn out fine. Just not as light. But I added orange peel (both bitter and sweet), lemon peel (bitter), and coriander. Smells great!

5 gal batch of Hoegaarden clone(Extract) on friday. Came home last night to find my airlock hissing violently and bubbling over.

wife's response:"Its like it has a mind of its own"

hurray for yeast starters

Eight gallons of BIPA.
Pitched around 9:00 last night. Woke up to blow-off this AM.
I'd call that a successful NHBD.

ImperialBlackAle3_lr.jpg

I brew my very first batch of beer last night.it was an ipa extract. Had a blast doing it. So I was really shocked this morning to find out that yesterday was home brew day. Just a little worried that after 12 hours I see no bubbles in my air lock

I got some more equipment that luckily came in at 11:40am yesterday. So my wife brewed her 1st batch,a brewer's best summer ale with 1/2lb Carapils for steeping. She nailed her temps,got a wild hot break too. She wound up with an OG of 1.050 by evening.
I'm going to be brewing a dark amber/brown ale In a while. Just gotta clean the BK & fermenter. But,I'm really proud of her for doing so well her 1st time out!!:ban:

You know,I learned something from how she did the hop additions (per instructions) with her BB kit. I'm going to try something like that hop addition time line with my ale. I'll be using US Perle & Saaz hops the last 15-20 mins of the boil,which will contain 1/2 the bag of Munton's plain light malt. In other words,1.5lbs. Her kit used one pound each of wheat malt,& pilsner malt DME's. So I thought,in 2.5G of water,my 1.5lbs would be close enough.

I brewed 5.5 gallons of an Anchor Steam-like California Common and split a 12 gallon batch of Citra IPA with a buddy. It was a great day!

They both sound pretty good. Gunna do batch2 today,so that's 11G of beer for us! I think my wife's gunna be pretty good at this.

I brew my very first batch of beer last night.it was an ipa extract. Had a blast doing it. So I was really shocked this morning to find out that yesterday was home brew day. Just a little worried that after 12 hours I see no bubbles in my air lock

I would relax and not worry about it. Air lock bubbles mean very little. Before I started making a proper yeast starters all of my beers were slow to start. Now I usually get fermentation going in about 6 hours.

And congrats on your first batch and welcome to the addicition.

Well, I'm not actively brewing anything, but i have my very first brew in the primary fermenter: A Wheat Ale, Blue Moon Clone.

Just finished scrubbing fermenter,need to pull the spigot & clean/replace it in a bit. Bk close to boiling to start my brown ale. Wife's BB summer ale startin to ferment slowly since yesterday.

Thanks,im sure im not the only new guy who worried about his first brew. Im starting to see foaming in the fermenter.I've got a feeling this wait is going to kill me but in the end im sure it will be the most rewarding beer ever drank. Im sure this is about to become an addiction. Bye bye 10 dollar six packs

...hello home brew! We'll have 11 gallons of ale next month for sittin in the shade,waitin on the bbq pit. Now if the BK would just finish gettin to a boil...almost there...

mcbethenstein said:
Me and the SO will be trying to win an engagement ring in Kessler's race for the ring in Madison, so no brewing, but we will be cracking open our recently bottled sweet stout and my gluten free blueberry Weiss.

p.s. I would LOVE to know what the butterbeer recipe is too!

Alas we did not win the ring, but I am brewing today on my first mothers day as a mom. Irish red is coming to a boil now. The sweet stout was great, but not done conditioning... No head yet.

Yet another stress free National Homebrew day!

got a Belgian Wit bubbling away and a skeeter pee experiment starting to show signs of life.

I love this hobby!

My buddy did a 5 gallon extract double oatmeal stout and I did a 10 gallon AG Pale Ale. Anothe stressless 10 hour brew day.

Got my ale in the fermenter late yesterday afternoon. Both fermenters are happily bubbling away together,hers & mine. Now that's togetherness.

I did one of the sponsored brews, the porter in my sig. It was a good time and everyone who came over seemed to be interested in the process.

It looks like the wife's batch is about done with initial fermentation already. Mine is in full swing. As soon as we bottle these,I'm thinking of her doing a partial extract dead guy clone,& finally get my whiskely ale going.

My first all grain Sam summer clone.
Wish me luck any wisdom welcome
Never got to this yet. Any Advise?

I have been working on my brewery. 1/4 keg SS ball valve for boil pot, 5-gallon round for MT and a 1/2 keg with therm and SS ball valve for MLT future boil pot or MT

5 lb Pilsen (36 ppg 1 L)
3.5 lb Wheat (38 ppg 2 L)
.5 lb CaraPils (33 ppg 1.5 L)
1 lb Wheat - Flaked (36 ppg 2 L)

Strike with 3.8 gallons @ 162 (desired rest at 152)
Sparge with 4.2 gallons @ 170

1.5 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 60
1 oz Grains of Paradise @ 15
1 oz Lemon Zest @ 15
1 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 5

I don't remember tasting lemon in SA summer ale. & floral,earthy spicy hops are the go to my taste buds.
My wife's summer ale she brewed on NHB's day got bottled yesterday. My pale ale I made that weekend will be bottled tomorrow. My wife's 1st smells/tastes pretty good. My whiskely ale will be started Monday.

Back