Scottish(ish) brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing one last batch before winter. I've got a bunch of Willamette hops and a left-over pound of Carapils 40L. I've got 9lbs of gold LME on the way and a pack of Wyeast 1728. Might this come close to a Scottish ale? I'm planning on 1oz of Willamettes @ 60 minutes and an ounce on Challangers @ 0 min. I'm sure this will make a good beer, but any advice to get this closer to a true style?

Well, with 9 pounds of LME, you could make a 80/- beer, but that'd give you an OG of 1.065, a bit higher than a traditional 80/- beer.

I think willamette hops are fine, but I don't think I'd add any finishing hops for a Scottish style beer.

A couple ounces of chocolate would be nice for color, and maybe about 4-6 ounces of darker crystal, like 120, would give you some "toffee/raisin" notes in the sweetness. I'd keep the crystal 40L (not carapils, but I don't think that's what you meant) in there, too.

Yooper...yooo're right :) Crystal 40, not carapils. I'll add a bit of darker grains, and skip the finishing hops. I'm hoping for something between a 80/- and a wee heavy. A mix of chocolate and 120 crystal added to the 40L sounds like a plan. Willamettes and Challangers @ 60, or just Willamettes?

Yooper...yooo're right :) Crystal 40, not carapils. I'll add a bit of darker grains, and skip the finishing hops. I'm hoping for something between a 80/- and a wee heavy. A mix of chocolate and 120 crystal added to the 40L sounds like a plan. Willamettes and Challangers @ 60, or just Willamettes?

Just willamette, OR challenger. I'd bitter to about 30 IBUs if you're going with the 9 pounds of LME, so that it's not cloyingly sweet. If you want to head more into wee heavy territory, you could add a tiny bit of roasted barley if you wanted.

Back