Toased Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with toasting Maris Otter? I was thinking about toasting some for a Northern English Brown I'm planning. Anybody have any experiences with toasted malt? I am wondering if I should use half regular Maris Otter and half toasted Maris Otter? Or should I just toast it all? I am planning on doing a partial mash with about 2 lbs of base grains. I am nearing the end of my first year in home brewing. My first brew was a Nut Brown Ale extract kit from NB. I would like to challenge myself a bit and see how much I have learned in the first year.

Edit: Excuse the spelling in the thread title

I regularly toast 2-row and MO. IMO, a little goes a long way. Half would be much too much. Typically, I'll use no more than 5% of toasted malt in the grain bill.

Put the grain on a cookie sheet in a 275 deg. oven for 30 min, turning the grain @ 15. Allow the grain to "rest" for a week or two.
Your home will smell fantastic when you're toasting the grains. Good Luck. :mug:

I use toasted raw wheat a bunch. I toast it at 300 for 10 minutes, turn it and toast it another 10 minutes. I use about 10% in my pales.

Radical Brewing has a few pages on it. It says for 175L brown malt roast at 400 for 50 minutes.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm looking forward to trying this out. I will have to do some experimenting.

Back