Late-Season Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
A nice lady is looking to take down her hop vines in the next few days. Apparently they're loaded with hops but some are starting to turn brown. I haven't seen any pictures of them so I don't know exactly what condition they'll be in. What are the chances that they'll still be in good shape this late in the season? It's been very temperate here for October, but still, I have my reservations. Any thoughts on whether or not to deal with it?

I am on the opposite coast so...

I harvested mine in early September. If they are speckled brown, maybe. Largely brown. No. Unless someone from your coast can say otherwise...

At least look at them?

Yeah I'm planning on at least checking them out. I'm just not entirely sure I want to use them if they're questionable. We'll see. I'll try to post some pictures after I pick them up.

A little brown on the tips & you'll be fine. When they become completely brown the resin falls out.

I talked to the woman again and she said they're mostly brown. They're about 45 minutes away so I think I'm going to pass on them after all, unless she takes a closer look and finds some greener buds.

Back