PMM - Berliner Weisse "Brew"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
Mainiacs - I thought I'd try a thread so as to not spam people with email.

Planning on a Berliner Weisse "brew" since I'm thinking no-boil. 60/40 pils & wheat. Lacto starter for 5 days @90 deg, then mash 150 for a few days, then pitch and ferment. Thoughts?

How did we want to split up the mash/brew day? I guess a couple of us could head over to Brian's place the Monday before and then we can just hangout on "mash out day"?

Thoughts?

ha! I figured we'd be using your place only because you've got the massive pot(s).

I wouldn't have a problem having them at my place, mostly b/c they'd be in the basement and I live on the 3rd floor. As far as keeping them warm, I'd just planned on putting it in a cooler with a hot pad cranked up, or just sit it on one on high.

I guess it depends on the interest and whether we can all agree on a recipe/method. I prefer to brew everything as traditional as I can. With all the Berliner Weisse madness on the internet right now, it's hard to read between the lines and find out exactly what the right method is. I still haven't read enough material to really have a concrete idea. I'm more obsessed with lambics at the current time.

I am always down for brewing berlinerweisse, so count me in.

I have made it with a standard mash and a decoction hopped short boil for pasteurization. Both times I used the WL berlinerweisse blend with solid results.

Craig as done a couple turbid/extended mashes so he can probably lend some insight.

Greg

I plan on doing a sour mash, so the PH will be low anyway. The sugars just need to be dealt with. I've seen a lot of us-05 and wheat yeasts, but I thought I'd try some lagering. Looking for a SUPER clean flavor profile maybe to help lend to the 'brightness'.

I checked out the google book. Doesn't really seem like a recipe that would lend itself to being sour. Need to hammer down a brew date, though.

FYI, The following dates are potential brew-dates for me (and maybe the club?) Jan 26, Feb 9, March 2, 9, May 4th, or May 25-Jun1. That's when the house is empty. I'm probably going to try 60 gallons of Lambic May 4th - with an authentic 2-day mashing schedule.

I'd be down with Feb 9th or anytime in March. That way I can get in on that Lambic too (if you'll let me).

Sounds good. It will really be a "mill and wait" kind of day. I plan on letting the mash sour for 4 days before fermenting without a boil. I'll shoot for Feb 9.
As for the lambic, anyone is welcome as long as they put in the labor. It is definitely going to be a pain in the captain's quarters.

I was thinking a 40-60 blend of wheat and pils. Thoughts? I'll send out an email later with specifics, especially since it will be more of a mill, mash, wait. Do you have a heating pad?

For those wondering, this didn't happen. Next weekend (3/3) there is a big brewday at Brians for an Octoberfest.

I'll also be brewing that weekend on my own set up (only boiling one batch this time!) so if you had been planning to observe or w/e I think that would be a good time to do so. Also: by that time, I should have my berliner weisse all boiled up and fermenting so I can happily share the [horror] stories.

I'll be brewing on and off the week of April 13-21. Lambic mostly. Good time for coolship. Open to other thoughts

What I would like to do for my next couple brews would be a couple of high grav beers to keep around and some summer session beers including a berliner weisse. I plant to do the hybrid method that Jake used, and I recently aquired a couple of fermwraps and a temp controller to keep it warm.

how did your sour mash turn out?

Mine came out great. So far so good. I'm doing a lambic this break, but not objecting to any other styles. What kind of big beer?

I'm all for whatever. Big batches are fun and easy to split. Maybe a good one for April? I'd like to make a barleywine with unfermented viognier grape (wine) juice to boost the booze, rather than more DME.

Just need my lawn to heal a little more before we do another massive outdoor one. Although the mash indoors/pump outside worked well the last couple times I did it... really eliminates the "standing outside" part of things.

Back