Opening LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
Every time i go to my LHBS it is packed with people. I feel like owning one would be very lucrative. I only know of two within 50 miles of my house. If i was to open one about 20-25 miles away from my house. Mad cash. What do you think?

I don't think it's a bad idea. I'd do a lot of market research. There are two LHBS' within a 25 mile radius where I am at and they both seem to be doing fine.

I've never, ever heard of anyone describe a potential LBHS as "mad cash". Beware. Usually owners of LBHS run it for the love of beer and the community, not to make money... Sorta like Brewers in general.

There is not much money to be made in hops, grain, or yeast. Equipment is where you make 'all the money', which is not much. It sure is fun, though.

I think the most important thing about opening a shop would be to make sure you have knowledgeable, friendly staff and that you encourage them to interact with people. That, and time convenience are your only legs up on online sellers who can generally sell cheaper.

I own a small business (NOT related in any way to home brewing) and it's not everything you think. The costs of keeping the doors open is painful and prices for everything keep going up. Insurance, liability, rent/mortgage, personnel, yada, yada, yada. Oh, don't forget how we were supposed to be the paperless society. Good lord, the paperwork BS puts me over the top.
Yes, it has it's advantages but whatever fun it would be for awhile, if you are depending on it to raise a family, the fun ceases quickly.
Hobbies are great, WORK is a four letter word!
Best of luck to you should you choose that route.

Also make sure you have a damn good e-commerce site. Stores only sell 8-12 hours a day, websites sell 24/7 and every bit of business counts.

Back