Need a Little Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molsen

Reaction score
Started my first brew American Amber from Brewers Best. Followed the instructions. They say to pitch the yeast by adding it directly to the fermenter and stir. However the packet of yeast says to mix with 4 oz. of water to pitch it then add it in. <- which I did because I've read in many book to do it this way. Anyway started Sunday, no activity Monday, Tuesday it was bubbling away, and Wednesday nothing.

Is it done? Is there something wrong? Because of how I pitched the yeast.
the room temp is 62-65 f.

Thanks for any help

Could be done - no way to tell without checking the gravity.

That said, definitely give it more time before you start pulling samples to test. Lots of folks around here primary for as much as a month (I usually do 3-4 weeks) before ever taking a gravity sample and bottling/kegging....

Since this is your first brew, I'm sure it's going to be near impossible to wait that long - but at least give it 2 weeks before monkeying around with it. You'll be happier by far with what you produce!

You did the right thing with the yeast. without knowing more info I can't guess if it is done. I would warm it up a little. the cold temp could be slowing it down a little. look up the yeast you used and see what the temp range it works best in. I like 68 degrees for most of the yeasts I use.

I wouldn't touch the temp, at least not without knowing exactly which yeast strain is being used. For most ale yeasts, low to mid 60's is a perfect ambient temperature for a good clean fermentation. Much warmer and many yeasts will start producing fruity esters, which may not be what you're looking for in an amber ale.

Latest posts

Back