Add honey and cold crash to keep honey flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrisby

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any reason why you can't cold crash a beer, then add dissolved honey to a keg (ala priming sugar) then rack your beer on top of it and immediatly store it in the kegerator and start force carbing to keep the honey flavor?

Even if I bottle with a bowie bottler, as long as the bottles always stay in the fridge, there is no bottle bomb risk. Would you agree?

it's easier to use honey malt than tinker with honey additions later but now that you're there you may as do it and tell us what happens. seems like you could just pour some honey in your glass and get the same effect?

I used to experiment with honey before, but i pasteurized it (3 hrs @180) and added it at high krausen. I am sorry to say that honey flavor didn't felt in beer as I expected.

diS said:
I used to experiment with honey before, but i pasteurized it (3 hrs @180) and added it at high krausen. I am sorry to say that honey flavor didn't felt in beer as I expected.

Honey tends to convert pretty well. You should have a bit of residual flavor though. I'd be more worried about the 180 temp. I understand the need to pasteurize but anything over 120 starting destroying flavors.

Back