How many Extract batches before All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done 4 extract batches in the 4 months since I started. Santa's bringing me most of what I need to go all grain, so maybe one more extract batch until then.

I did ~25 partial mashes over the course of ~2 years. Now I'm up to my 9th or 10th AG batch.

Well, I'm glad you got your answers and presented before I chimed in.

Been brewing almost 14 years and I still use extract.

But recently I've been slowly building up the equipment to go AG.

14 years is a long time, but I could definitely see sticking with extract that long if brewing was only an occasional thing. For me I became obsessed within a few weeks, and haven't stopped ramping up on equipment, technique, etc. since. I still think about how easy and less time consuming the extract batches were, and always think I'll do one every so often... but, then again, the smell of the mash is soooo good. Mmmmmm. And all the extra chemistry stuff to play with, measuring pH of the mash, adding chemicals to make my water "Edinburgh" water, using a refractometer to see how much sugar is in the runnings... not to mention being able to say to others who have no idea about brewing "Well basically I start with a bag of grain, then put some hot water in it...". Now that stuff is priceless.

Well, I'm glad you got your answers and presented before I chimed in.

Been brewing almost 14 years and I still use extract.

But recently I've been slowly building up the equipment to go AG.

Thank you. I knew i could not be the only one. I brewed consistently infrequently since I either bottled or only had 1 tap for kegging. Now I have 3so the flow has been much faster.

It has been very interesting reading how everyone has progressed in their brewing. There weren't resources like this around when I got started and the guy in the homebrew shop in my town got pissed when you walked thru the door,.(shop didnt make it that long).

I did 5 extract and 1 PM before making the jump. The only extract ive used since going AG is DME for a starter.

been brewing on and off since 96, all extract. this year i've brewed the most ever (about 55 gallons) and will probably continue to stick to extract (at least for a while).

I'm personally going to go against convention and hit the all-grain bandwagon as soon as I can afford the proper equipment for it. Right now, I'm just brewing from beer kits and investing in kegging and fermenting gear.

Start saving NOW! It cost me a hefty $9, 5 dollars for a Nylon paint strainer bag and $4 for a plastic food grade bucket to sparge in.

BTW I did 1 extract batch at the insistence of the LHBS worker and I could have really just jumped right in. Its just basically like cooking.

Link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

It has been very interesting reading how everyone has progressed in their brewing. There weren't resources like this around when I got started and the guy in the homebrew shop in my town got pissed when you walked thru the door,.(shop didnt make it that long).

Brewing AG is about having creative control over the final product. Every aspect of your beer can now be tweeked to your specifications.

Have Fun!! :mug:

I did maybe six or seven kits over the course of a year before going all grain. I am a little different from the other posters because I do go back every now and then. Sometimes I just don't have the free time for weeks on end, and the good folks at Coopers help keep the pipeline full with relatively little time and work invested.

Of course nothing beats a full brewday when I have the time, especially now that the process is dialed in.

I did one extract kit, then a PM kit. Now everything is PM, I don't have the room to go all grain. And thats all thats holding me back!

2 extract with specialty grains, 1 largish mini-mash, then dove into all grain. Been doing all grain for the past 1.5 years. Personally I find it a bit more rewarding. Oh yeah, I've also never done a 'kit' beer.

I did maybe six or seven kits over the course of a year before going all grain. I am a little different from the other posters because I do go back every now and then. Sometimes I just don't have the free time for weeks on end, and the good folks at Coopers help keep the pipeline full with relatively little time and work invested.

Of course nothing beats a full brewday when I have the time, especially now that the process is dialed in.

I think this is fairly common. I'd like to brew in the next week or two and am going to pick up the ingredients for a 2 gallon extract batch and a 5 gallon partial mash porter. I'm just too busy and the house is too insane right now to haul out the full brew rig and I need to get something in the fermenter!

1 kit before going all grain. I did do a few years of wine and mead from kits and from scratch prior to starting beer, but doing all grain is really no big deal if you can follow instructions and are a bit smarter than the grain. All my beer has turned out great so far.

I looked back through my brewing records and since fall of 04 I brewed 36 batches. I switched to AG last fall and have brewed 8 more. AG is a little more labor intensive but I am loving the process and the science of it. I have obtained all the equipment and moved into a room in the cellar. I started kegging long ago and have all that in place already.
The cellar room was a bathroom 26 years ago before we moved upstairs. It has a stainless slop sink. Also an old shower in the corner with a floor drain. I keep my fermenters in there because it keeps them at a perfect 65 degrees.
I brew in there also. I built a squirrel cage fan into one of the windows for an exhaust system. There is another window on the other side of the room that I open for cross ventilation. Purely luck that this worked out this way.

I never did extract. For me, extract is to home brew what boxed brownies are to baking. 90% of the skill and art is in the mashing.

Still just extract - maybe 100 batches later. Including one third place IPA in a Philadelphia Beer Week invitational event this past summer. Don't believe those who say you can't make good extract beers.

I just don't have the time, space or inclination to try all grain.

watched a buddy do two extract batches, did one myself ........... all grain after that.

First all grain IPA I did was light years ahead of the extract IPA that I did one batch prior.

As far as time goes, it doesn't take much longer to do all grain than it does to do extract w/ steeping grains. All grain - you mash for 60 minutes, extract - steep for 45? .... I can't even remember.

Space ....... you need a cooler and the ability to do full boils. That's one additional piece of equipment assuming you already do full boils with extract.

DO IT!!! you'll never look back ........... you will kick yourself for not doing it (insert number of brews less 1 here) brews ago.

Haven't read the thread, so I'm probably not saying anything new.

There is no all-grain boogyman. The only reasons to do extract that I can think of are:

1) make sure you will stick with it before buying necessary equipment for AG
2) no space for AG equipment
3) no desire to spend extra time or effort on AG brew day
4) no immediate cash for AG equipment upgrades

Other than #1 above, I would argue there is no reason for anybody to ever brew an extract batch, so long as they have the desire and resources to do AG. #1 is a pretty good reason to do several though.

As for me, I did probably 6 extract batches, which all sucked. For whatever reason, I could not brew a good beer with extract. No idea why.

Even if I could brew extracts that taste good, I wouldn't. I enjoy the AG process too much to ever skip those steps.

1 pure extract, 1 with grains.

The extract sucked, the extract with grains went very well (it was a mini-mash, so it's the same as a small mash). I went AG on the third and have enjoyed every (almost) beer since. I have recently brewed batch #100!!

Haven't read the thread, so I'm probably not saying anything new.

There is no all-grain boogyman. The only reasons to do extract that I can think of are:

1) make sure you will stick with it before buying necessary equipment for AG
2) no space for AG equipment
3) no desire to spend extra time or effort on AG brew day
4) no immediate cash for AG equipment upgrades

Other than #1 above, I would argue there is no reason for anybody to ever brew an extract batch, so long as they have the desire and resources to do AG. #1 is a pretty good reason to do several though.

As for me, I did probably 6 extract batches, which all sucked. For whatever reason, I could not brew a good beer with extract. No idea why.

Even if I could brew extracts that taste good, I wouldn't. I enjoy the AG process too much to ever skip those steps.

You're right there is no AG bogeyman. In fact it is REALLY easy.

All you need is a paint strainer bag to do all grain. You just have to hold a mixture of the bag of grains and water at a certain temp for 1hr (though usually less than an hr).

Still just extract - maybe 100 batches later. Including one third place IPA in a Philadelphia Beer Week invitational event this past summer. Don't believe those who say you can't make good extract beers.

I just don't have the time, space or inclination to try all grain.

As for time, I started my AG batch at 10:45 last night. I finished at 1:15am. I usually wait to pitch in the morning. It adds about an hour and fifteen minutes at the most once I got the method down.

As for space, my grain bag takes up no extra space if I do the Aussie BIAB method, except extra space in the trashcan for the used grains.

I waited 1 year brewing extracts to make sure I really liked this hobby before I made the investment and jump to AG.

Two extract batches, three partial BIAB batches. I will brew my first all grain on Boxing Day

Latest posts

Back