Low pH and too high TA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto188

Reaction score
So I embarked on making some peach wine. I followed all the directions and made my juice (slice peaches, boiled and strained banana slices, yeast nutrient, etc). So before I pitched the yeast, I checked the pH and it was very high, 4.1. I calculated the amount of acid blend I needed to add to bring it down to 3.6 and put it in. Then i took a gravity measuremnt to check to make sure I was close only to find I was WAY under. Then it hit me, the directions never said to mash the peach slices, so I never did. However, without mashing the peach slices, the juice won't readily come out. So I mashed the peaches in the fermenter and rechecked the SG and it was spot on. Only problem, is now the pH is CRAZY low, 3.1 and the TA, which I haven't measured yet, but must be REALLY high because the taste is extremely tart. My question is, if I add potasium bicarbonate to raise the pH will that also reduce the TA? If so, I would assume that the crystals will drop out and i'll have to rack it off those crystals to get the reducing in acid I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience in this?

Back