East Texas (Tyler) -- Looking to borrow a primary fermenter until mid-December

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stalling1

Reaction score
Hey fellow homebrewers! I live in Tyler, TX. I find myself in need of one additional primary fermenter, from nowish until mid-December -- 6.5 gallon with airlock/blowoff tube preferred. I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone in my area who's got a spare one?

I'm getting married in February, and have 5 wedding party batches planned before then, including my first 2 lagers. I just did the math, and I'll have to brew two batches at once to make this work. Hence the need for another fermenter. (I've already secured a second secondary vessel.) Odd request I know. I'm happy to leave a deposit, barter, etc. Thanks for reading!

Not sure if what's available in the states, but how cost prohibitive is food grade HDPE bucket with lid in your area? You could use it to store grains or sanitise equipment afterwards. That's what the majority around here use, we don't have access to the awesome ale pails that seems to be the norm in the states. 25 litre( 6 gallons about) food grade bucket for us costs around R50, which I think is around 4 US dollars. And congrats on your big day!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into it. I'm just worried about using a plastic bucket for primary, since I'll have to makeshift some way to vent the CO2 (cut a hole and install an airtight blow off tube?). I've only ever used glass carboys, so I'm worried about fashioning something myself...

very easy to add the airlock, and I've never had any issues. just never pour boiling liquid in the bucket, use a chiller or let it chill in your kettle. and the quality of the beer won't be affected at all

B-Boy, unfortunately Tyler's closest homebrew shop is about 110 miles.

Stalling1, I have used buckets for years. They are simple and very effective. I have found 6.5g, 2nd hand food grade buckets at Brookshires (they ship icing for the bakery in them) and other restaurants. You just have to make sure you get a sealing lid. Drill a hole in the top and use a drilled stopper for your airlock/blowoff. If you run out of options let me know, I have an older one I'm not using.

EDIT: On second thought, there was a LHB in Longview that was still open last I heard. That's only about 35 miles. Northern shipping only takes about 4 days to here. I have become a fan of the plastic BigMouth Bubbler ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/big-mouth-bubbler ).

Last edited:
Oops - that is a long trip to the LHBS.

How about Lowes/Home Depot 5 gallon white buckets/lids? You can get grommets there as well. It makes a smaller fermenter, but you could split your batch across 2 of them. They are even cheaper than LHBS buckets. I use them all the time.

Oops - that is a long trip to the LHBS.

How about Lowes/Home Depot 5 gallon white buckets/lids? You can get grommets there as well. It makes a smaller fermenter, but you could split your batch across 2 of them. They are even cheaper than LHBS buckets. I use them all the time.

I've heard on a basic brewing radio podcast that white buckets from home depo are safe, as long as they are not recycled plastic. and that its best to avoid coloured plastics. good idea on splitting a batch into 2 buckets

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I ended up going with a 5-gallon drinking water container from Lowe's, filled with water that I used to brew with. Got a #10 rubber stopper and some plastic S-shaped airlocks.

The stopper fits the water container perfectly. The hole is a little too small for the airlock to fit comfortably, so I've already bent one airlock, but I think it'll work out.

Also, I forgot that I normally brew 5 full gallons and put it in a 6.5 gallon carboy... so I got a sizable blowoff through the airlock. Replaced the airlock with another, and I think I'm home free, as long as no baddies got in there.

Anyway, thanks again for your help everybody. I guess I had been spoiled just using the glass carboys that came with my kit!

Glad you found something that works.

This post really made me reflect on how lucky some of us are to have home brew supply stores in the towns that we live in.

I think I'll stop by my local shop today and buy something.

Congrats on the wedding!

Back