I think I've been screwing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangDawg

Reaction score
I've been doing extract kits and doing full boils instead of what their recipe calls for (usually 2 gal.) Well, I haven't been adjusting the amount of bittering hops and only thought about it when there was a note on the last kit that said I should use .24 to .5 less hops when doing the full boil. I still don't really understand why using more water makes any difference but I guess I should start doing it right. I really like the batches I've made so far however. I usually drink Yuenling lager and considered it a pretty tasty beer. After drinking my own, it tastes like crap.

In a full boil there are more 'free' molecules of water to bond with the hops. Thus, a more diluted boil will get you better hop utilization. The only thing adding more hops will get you is a more bitter and hoppy beer, depending on WHEN you add the hops.

The full boil likely isn't your problem. Post your recipe and probably we can help you figure why it "tasted like crap." Are you chilling your wort in under 30min before adding yeast? What temp do you ferment at? Have high expectations? Need to answer questions like these to find the problem.

Think of a full boil having less "stuff" in the water allowing for more "stuff" (the hop's alpha acids) to dissolve. The higher the gravity of boil, the lower the utilization.

I made the same mistake when I went to full boils but I wasn't that disappointed with the result because I don't mind bitter beers.

You certainly won't be cloning a commercial lager accurately at this point. It's not easy. How long has it been in the bottles?

Since you like what you're making, no problem. For most styles, the spread for bittering is as large as the difference in utilization between a 2 gallons and a 5 gallon boil and homebrewers tend to brew on the high side of bittering for a style.. Realistically, most people can't judge bitterness within 10 IBU.

Back