Sizing Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
I would love some advice here guys. Recently upgraded to some keggles and looking to begin picking up valves, QD's, and other fittings for when I'm done drilling holes and cutting off tops. My situation is this, a while back I picked up about 30' of 3/4" ID x 1.25" OD silicone tubing (I got a great deal) so then I got a few 3/4" camlocks from ProFlow to hook up my old kettle and MLT. Now that I've got these Kegs I'm not sure if I should buy 3/4" ball valves and more QD camlocks, or eat the cost of the 3/4" tubing and go with the more traditional 1/2" fitting all the way around and pick up 1/2" tubing instead.

Hope that made sense. The reason I'm asking is for future reference. I can get all 3/4" stuff now and it will work with my rig and no worries. But if, in the future I want to upgrade or sell will it be a PITA to sell/trade equipments with 3/4" fittings and tubing?

Thanks for the input.

I would go with the 3/4" tubing. I'm a firm believer that it's best to use large ID tubing for maximum pump performance with nothing less than a full 1/2" ID anywhere including the barbed fittings. There should be no downside to using the 3/4" valves, but 1/2" valves would also work just fine. I don't like to use 1/2" ID tubing because it gets necked down to about 3/8" ID at the fitting barbs creating too much of a restriction. I use 5/8" ID tubing throughout my system and it's working very well for me.

I agree with Catt22, stay with the larger ID tubing. It's more likely to be a selling point than a problem if you do decide to sell/trade down the road.

Back