Need sum clearing advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitz9001

Reaction score
So I've been experimenting with different ciders/apfelwein's and I have a small issue with my Pear Pom Cider. Its a one gallon batch:

3 12 oz bottles of organic pear necter($$$$!!!)
12 oz of Naked Brand Pomegranate
bout a 1/4 cup sugar
topper off with TreeTop AJ
Pitched 1/4 th pack of Red Star Cotes
Tsp of Yeast nutrient
Racked onto a half lb of pureed peaches after fermentation subsided

Fermentation Started rather quickly and went strong for 4 or 5 days. When the bubbles stopped there seemed to be a hazy layer formed in the middle of the jug which has not changed a bit in 3 1/2 weeks. I really would like to bottle up the stuff to free up the carboy but dont all that junk gettin into the bottle any ideas other than just give it time?
photo.php

and im trying to post a pic but im a noob, you can find a pic set as my profile photo

I've got a Cyser (a cider based mead) in my primary right now. My LHBS said that adding Pectic Enzyme will help to clear the cider, as well as time of course. The longer it sits the more sediment will settle out.

I've got a Cyser (a cider based mead) in my primary right now. My LHBS said that adding Pectic Enzyme will help to clear the cider, as well as time of course. The longer it sits the more sediment will settle out.

I second that. I had a cider that would not clear after sitting for a month in a wintery cold basement. I forgot to add pectic enzyme in the primary, so I added some to the secondary and it cleared up almost immediately. I did let it sit for a week before bottling just to get it nice and clear.

i actually have some pectic enzyme that i got after i started this batch and was under the impression that it wouldnt work after fermentation had already started but hey I gotta trust the experts, thanks guys!!!

Different products clear different hazes so it helps to know why it's hazy. When I mkae cider I clear it naturally by letting it sit until a crust forms, then racking off. This is before adding the yeast and does run a risk of other microbes/wild yeasts taking over.

When the cider is finished I cold condition and fine with gelatine which will drop out the yeast. You could avoid the first step with the pectic enzyme [I think] but I don't believe it will affect the suspended yeast.

So I've been experimenting with different ciders/apfelwein's and I have a small issue with my Pear Pom Cider. Its a one gallon batch:

3 12 oz bottles of organic pear necter($$$$!!!)
12 oz of Naked Brand Pomegranate
bout a 1/4 cup sugar
topper off with TreeTop AJ
Pitched 1/4 th pack of Red Star Cotes
Tsp of Yeast nutrient
Racked onto a half lb of pureed peaches after fermentation subsided

Fermentation Started rather quickly and went strong for 4 or 5 days. When the bubbles stopped there seemed to be a hazy layer formed in the middle of the jug which has not changed a bit in 3 1/2 weeks. I really would like to bottle up the stuff to free up the carboy but dont all that junk gettin into the bottle any ideas other than just give it time?
photo.php

It's the peach puree. Peach (especially puree) is notoriously cloudy & takes a while to clear, but it will clear eventually, provided you didn't boil your juice. The pectic enzyme will help, but it's not really a fining agent like gelatin or bentonite. It works by breaking down the molecular chains that make up the pectins & cell walls.

I think your best bet would be to just wait & let time work for you, it gives you a good reason to buy another carbouy. :rockin:
If you're dead set on using a fining agent to clear it, you might try Sparkelloid. I think it'll be the easiest to use & most effective for your situation. Regards, GF.

gratus, good advice/info. Thanks I guess ill just wait for everything to settle out. Any idea roughly on how long the peach will take to settle?

Back