Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Ok for when Im not using dry yeast I got a 2L flask to make starters.

Is there a good rule of thumb for DME/water ratio and how long you should wait?

1 gram of DME per 10m liters will get you where you want to go. Example 2000ml starter would need 200 grams of DME. I wait until it is completely fermented out on the stir plate, chill decant and then pitch.

I am pretty sure Brew-Boy meant "10g DME per 100ml water"

Not being picky, thought that might lead to some confusion.:mug:

No problem!:mug:

I woulda chipped in with something a bit more useful, but all I know is you want the gravity of your starter to be in the 1.040-1.045 range. I just use beersmith to figgure it out from there.....

Since I'm mathematically challenged, and can't come close to figuring grams, I use 1/2 cup DME per pint of water. That gives me a starter of 1.040. For a bigger starter, I just double the ingredients.

I just remember "a cup to a quart." That's one cup of DME to one quart of water (obviously, the same proportions as Yoop). A quart is close enough to a liter.

TL

I have heard that some will pitch while the starter is active. In this case, I assume that you wouldn't decant?

If I do chill, how long does it take to chill? A few hours?

If my starter is still very active, with little sediment, I will pitch the whole thing. That usually is the case when I start my starter less than or around 24 hours before pitching. I will only do that if I have some fresh yeast, and I will keep the starter size to one quart. Those starters usually get rolling in a couple hours (VERY fresh yeast).

If I know I will brew and I have my yeast, I will start the starter a couple days earlier so that it finishes up in time for an overnight rest in the fridge. I like to cool it overnight to get better flocculation and also to give it time to warm back up for pitching. I will take the starter back out when I start heating my strike water.

TL

TexLaw said:
If I know I will brew and I have my yeast, I will start the starter a couple days earlier so that it finishes up in time for an overnight rest in the fridge. I like to cool it overnight to get better flocculation and also to give it time to warm back up for pitching. I will take the starter back out when I start heating my strike water.

TL

Do you decant before or after you let it warm up?

Back