LHBS Atonement Brown Porter prebrew help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek704

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help in advance. I found this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/atonement-brown-porter-2011-hbt-gold-category-12-a-238714/

I decided to brew this 1 gal size and converted to extract. Here are the numbers the LHBS and I came up with. I'd just like to know if everything looks good before I brew this one, possibly later this evening. Also, since I don't yet own a scale, how do I determine the amount of pellet hops?

LHBS Extract 1 Gal Atonement Brown Porter

Type: Extract w/ Steeping Grains

Batch Size: 1 gal

Boil Size: 2 gal? (undetermined)

Boil Time: 60

Expected OG: 1.063

Expected FG: 1.016

IBU: 35

ABV: 6.1%

Ingredients

UK Maris Otter 1lbs (steeped @160* 30 min)

UK Brown Malt .5lbs (steeped @160* 30 min)

UK Black Malt .12lbs (steeped @160* 30 min)

Briess Golden Light DME 1lbs

UK Fuggle 5.4AA .273oz @ 60min

UK Fuggle 5.4AA .091oz @ 5min

1/2 pkgs Safale S-04 (no starter)

(1/2 vial Clarity Ferm for gluten reduced properties)

3 weeks at 68*

Bottle w/ ? lb corn sugar?

Boiling my wort now. I think I got a little extraction from the grains, which I wasn't expecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Turns out I did get some conversion. 1.072 OG and I still had a little left over that I had to toss..

I had a blowoff tube, but it still exploded into the ceiling last night. Blew hop turds across the room as well... The room does smell like golden grams now though!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391536525.445984.jpg

Just bottled, FG 1.016. I made a mistake of trying to siphon to the bottling wand. I didn't have enough force to punch down the wand tab enough to get the siphon started and I'm pretty sure it blew bubbles back into the primary... It tasted fantastic too pre bottle at room temp. Looks like I'm going to find out what cardboard tastes like :/ Lesson learned, always have a third hand.

Just bottled, FG 1.016. I made a mistake of trying to siphon to the bottling wand. I didn't have enough force to punch down the wand tab enough to get the siphon started and I'm pretty sure it blew bubbles back into the primary... It tasted fantastic too pre bottle at room temp. Looks like I'm going to find out what cardboard tastes like :/ Lesson learned, always have a third hand.

I noticed no one gave you an answer on how to divide your hops without a scale. I would divide the package of hops into 10 equal parts. Tedious. Could probably just count the pellets in the bag to have the number of pellets/ounce to divide into tenths. Record the number of p/o to use the remainder for future batches.
If you will siphon to your wand in the future, start the siphon with the plunger tip removed from the wand. Don't lose the spring or plunger. Have a clamp for the tube to stop the flow while you push the tip back on.
It would take quite a bit of air to make oxidation noticeable. Just in case start enjoying as soon as it is carbed.

Back