Coffee Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGIG692

Reaction score
I just started a brew this past weekend. I put some coffee in the first stage container. Is there a certain amount of time it should or shouldnt sit in there for? I was going to let it sit in there for the first 2 weeks but im not sure if it will go bad/stale. Also have ginger and nutmeg in it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Did you add coffee beans and/or grinds directly to the beer? If yes, then I would just taste a sample at least once a week and rack it off when you think it has enough coffee flavor for your taste.

With coffee there's really no right or wrong, just different tastes. I've tasted commercial beers that got a lot of coffee flavor from just racking the beer through beans in a Randall, and I've added brewed coffee to a keg personally.

i put ground coffee beans and nutmeg in a disposable bag, and threw it in the primary.

What else did you put in? Hopefully some type of sweeteners or DME or something and yeast?

Cinnamon, nutmeg, coffee, mint. I am fully aware of the "this is going to suck" factor.

I always add the spices and the coffee to the boil so they can be pasteurized prior to adding them to the fermentation vessel.

i was going to do that, but the guy at the home brew store said it would be better to cold steep it, or make a pot and add it. so i just threw it in. live and learn.

Back