Licorice Root - advice on amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am brewing a baltic porter that is going to push 1.090 OG, the max specified for the style. I am pushing the boundries of the style in every aspect, IBU, SRM, Adjuncts...etc..etc.. Mollases and licorice root are both going to be utilized. I am planning on utilizing 8 oz mollases, and I have in my posession 1 oz licorice root.

I am just wondering how much licorice root I can use? I want it to be noticable, but not super over the top with licorice flavor. I have never used this ingredient before, any advice is greatly appreciated.

just ate a licorice taffy at work and now i would like to know as well. but after looking at the related threads people are talking about 2 oz being a bit much and 1 oz being faint. anyone with sound advice?

For lack of any actual knowledge, I looked up licorice root in the BYO article on brewing with spices from last year. They recommend no more than 1/2 oz in the boil for 60 mins. on a 5-gal batch.

I think your .5 @ 60min + .5 @ 20min would be fine... A little conditioning will smooth it out if it is a bit strong in the first few weeks...
--LexusChris

I did 0.38 Oz Licorice Root @ 20 min for 3.5 gallons of beer. I couldn't pick it out, but I had several people ask if there was licorice in there. The 8 oz of molasses will be a more apparent flavor, you should be fine. Hope it turns out well.

After 4 days of vigourous pacman yeast maltose induced frenzy, this beer is finishing up at around 1.015 down from 1.070.......

My sample was fantastic, and I couldn't pick out either the mollases or the licorice. The flavor was very malty and toasty, with a little roast and slight caramel sweetness....this beer tastes good after 4 days! I can't wait to bottle this puppy up!

Back