Help with my first all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplosiveJoseph

Reaction score
Does anyone think this looks about right for an Amber?
5 Gal
10lb 2 row
1lb Munich
8oz crystal 80L
6oz victory
4oz wheat
4oz cara-pils/dextrin
1oz Willamette at 60,20 and 5 min each
WLP001
Is the Cara pils unnecessary because of the wheat?

Yes, I would leave out either the carapils or the wheat. Personally, I don't think you need the carapils. The wheat will help with head retention and the crystal 80 will give you some body. (You might also consider mashing at a higher temperature -- say 154-155).

I think you are a bit light on the hops. Consider bittering with something like Northern Brewer, then adding an ounce of Willamette at 30 & 15 each, and dry hop with another ounce of Willamette.

If you are looking for a more "English" flavor, consider WLP002. If you want more of that west coast style, consider dryhopping w/ Cascade or Centennial.

Just some suggestions. If you make your beer as is, it will be very good.

Yes, I would leave out either the carapils or the wheat. Personally, I don't think you need the carapils. The wheat will help with head retention and the crystal 80 will give you some body. (You might also consider mashing at a higher temperature -- say 154-155).

I think you are a bit light on the hops. Consider bittering with something like Northern Brewer, then adding an ounce of Willamette at 30 & 15 each, and dry hop with another ounce of Willamette.

If you are looking for a more "English" flavor, consider WLP002. If you want more of that west coast style, consider dryhopping w/ Cascade or Centennial.

Just some suggestions. If you make your beer as is, it will be very good.

Agreed

Back