Darn those wimpy imported growlers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
..in case anyone has wondered, yes, it is possible (and frankly almost too easy) to break the neck of a growler simply by pressing in a standard 6 1/2 stopper. It sheared off at a 45 degree angle and damn near sliced me wide open. Thankfully I had a backup, which I treated much more kindly. Aggressive starter-makers, beware! :drunk:

Dude said:
which kind are you referring to? Pic???

Just the 1/2 gallon glass ones you take home filled from any microbrew and take back for refills. I'll try to post a pic tonight.

Little tip:

Having trouble getting the stopper to stay in the neck? It's probably because wet stoppers are slippery. So, rub the stopper and the inside neck of the growler with grain alcohol or vodka. Alcohol evaporates quickly, leaving a dry and sanitary surface.

The dry stopper holds in place perfectly.

That's a great idea; I habitually spritz the stopper with some Star-San before pushing it in and it inevitably worms its way back out a little bit.

Cheers! :mug:

Here you go

3380-sheared_growler.jpg

Latest posts

Back