Kegging Hose/Clamp Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
I'm going to start kegging soon and am piecing together all my components but have a few simple Qs to which I can't seem to find the As. Hopefully you all can help.

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 3/16" beer line to a picnic tap?

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 3/16" beer line to a 1/4" barb?

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 1/4" gas line to a 1/4" barb?

- Is it possible to connect a 1/4" gas line to a 3/8" barb (on the regulator) or should I try to get a regulator that has a 5/16” barb? (can you guess my next question?)

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 1/4" gas line to a 5/16" or 3/8" barb?

Thanks. I just want to make sure I get all I need the first time.

I'm going to start kegging soon and am piecing together all my components but have a few simple Qs to which I can't seem to find the As. Hopefully you all can help.

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 3/16" beer line to a picnic tap?
Most of them I have used are a really tight fit, you can probably get by without, but I use one, just not as tight as with a metal hose barb.
- Is a clamp needed for connecting 3/16" beer line to a 1/4" barb?
I would, I use the two eared oteker(sp?) clamps, others use the stepless one-ear type, but a worm drive clamp is OK also.
- Is a clamp needed for connecting 1/4" gas line to a 1/4" barb?
I would, see above
- Is it possible to connect a 1/4" gas line to a 3/8" barb (on the regulator) or should I try to get a regulator that has a 5/16” barb? (can you guess my next question?)

- Is a clamp needed for connecting 1/4" gas line to a 5/16" or 3/8" barb?
Yes, for any of these connections, to make it easier, bring a coffee cup of water to boil in the microwave then hold the end of the tubing in the hot water for 10-15 seconds to soften it up and make it easier to push the tight hose over the barb. Usually after I do that I realize I forgot to put the clamp over the tube first :cross:
Thanks. I just want to make sure I get all I need the first time.

np

its a 50cent insurance policy. check the forums from time to time and see grown men reduced to tears when 5 gallons of homebrew sprayed out all over the place due to a hose popping off. why risk it?

Thanks for the input! I agree, it's a cheap way to ensure beer/gas leaks don't happen. I'll definitely be using them at all barbs. Thanks again!

Back