wyeast forbidden fruit yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
has anyone used this particular strain if so what flavors came through.i brewed a belgian blonde and they have been inbottles for 5 weeks and have a banana taste thats not by any means overpowereing but is there i was just wondering if this was common for this strain or it just needs to condition longer?

ok so then maybe it just needs more time to condition because the temps didnt get any higher than like 67 i just didnt know if the banana taste was maybe supposed to be there with this particular strain,

Yea I would bet it'll go away. I wish I would have remembered to try some of mine when I was bottling, now I am worried I might have banana... Might open one early just to see... either way :mug:

its just a hint of banana other than that my beer tastes good to me so ill give it a few more weeks and try another.

I heard it was hoegarden strain

I don't think it's the current Hoeggarden strain. I believe it's from Pierre Celis after her moved to the US. So it's probably more inline with the (old?) Celis White yeast than Hoeggarden.

Keep us posted as to your results... I am working on a recipe and was considering this stain because I was led to believe that it WOULDN'T give the banana flavors. Now I have to reconsider my choice. I want a hint of fruitiness, just no banana.

ill keep you informed there is fruitiness to it but also like i said a hint but it may just need more time to condition.

well i had another of these beers and the banana flovors have pretty much faded away now just leaves a nice hint of fruity taste i guess it just needed more time to condition,i added orange peels to this brew and they dont come throught has much has i would have liked i think this yeast over powers it.

it is a good yeast, but it takes a long time to mature. let it sit in primary until it is done and co9ndition it for at least 1 month depending on the gravity. this is a high gravity yeast. i have used it for mead that ended up over 15% ABV. it took about a year to condition but man was it good.

it is a good yeast, but it takes a long time to mature. let it sit in primary until it is done and co9ndition it for at least 1 month depending on the gravity. this is a high gravity yeast. i have used it for mead that ended up over 15% ABV. it took about a year to condition but man was it good.

i agree totally i just needed it to sit for a while longer i used it in a belgium blonde thats about 6.5 % and i do agreeery it is very good.

I brewed a custom Tripel crossed with a Belgian Wit that sat in secondary for over 4 months, and just kegged it last week and tried it tonight. WOW! this beer is a fruit bomb, even over the 9.6% ABV!

I am not that great at describing the subdued fruit flavors but I smell and taste a lot of white grape, raisins, plums, caramel, and other flavors undetermined at this point.

This yeast was a real champ and started to referment around 2 months in secondary, I attribute that to rising ambient temperatures.

Here is my recipe if anyone is interested, I have also uploaded it to iBrewMaster:

Tripel-Wit

Style: Belgian Tripel
Type: Partial Mash Calories: 242
Rating: 0.0 Efficiency: 70 %
IBU's: 19.13 Boil Size: 7.13 Gal
Color: 5.7 SRM Batch Size: 6.25 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 03/24/2011
OG: 1.074 1.075
FG: 1.018 1.002
ABV: 7.34 % 9.56 %
Serve Date: 08/11/2011 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F 03/24/2011 03/24/2011
Secondary 60 days @ 68.0°F 04/07/2011 06/13/2011
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 72.0°F 08/12/2011 07/21/2011

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.00 lbs 21.74 % Pilsner (2 Row) Bel 60 mins 1.036
0.75 lbs 5.43 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.62 % Caravienne Malt 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 1.81 % Rye, Flaked 60 mins 1.036
0.25 lbs 1.81 % Wheat, Flaked 60 mins 1.035
0.25 lbs 1.81 % Spelt 60 mins 1.036
0.25 lbs 1.81 % Barley, Flaked 60 mins 1.032
4.00 ozs 1.81 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 14.49 % Candi Sugar, Clear 60 mins 1.036
3.00 lbs 21.74 % Extra Light DME 60 mins 1.044
3.30 lbs 23.91 % Pilsner LME 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 13.10 Styrian Goldings 60 mins 5.40
0.25 ozs 2.43 Saaz 60 mins 4.00
0.75 ozs 3.61 Saaz 15 mins 4.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Forbidden Fruit Wyeast Labs 3463

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
0.50 oz Coriander Seed 00 mins Boil
1.00 oz Orange Peel 00 mins Boil
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
4.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 5.00 qt water @ 164.0°F

Carbonation
(none)

Notes
**Please read through all directions before you start your brew session, so you have everything ready and prepared.

A. **recommended** Make a yeast starter at least one day before pitching.

B. It is much cheaper and and very easy to make your own Belgian Candi sugar than it is to buy it. I recommend making this a day before your brew day or right before your brew session. It would be ideal if you have a friend make it while you tend to the kettle because you must not take your eyes off the boiling sugar as it can burn easily and the temperatures are very sensitive to the degree of caramelization required.

I have provided a link below for these instructions.

C. For a lower gravity ale, omit the 3 lbs of extra light DME.

1. Collect and heat 5 quarts of water to 164F in mash kettle.

2. Place crushed grains in nylon mesh bag and place in kettle. Crush and set aside coriander.

3. Adjust temperature, temp should be within 1-2F of 152F. Adjust by heat source or with hot cold water.

4. Place lid on kettle and wrap with blankets or towels (HEAT SOURCE OFF) and let rest for 1 hour.

5. While mash rests, collect and heat 5 quarts of sparge water in a second pot. Heat to 170F and hold at this temp until mash is finished.

6. When 1 hour mash is complete, return kettle to heat source (WITHOUT TOWELS!) apply very low heat to raise temperature of mash to 170F. Be careful not to scorch the grains.

7. Remove the bag of grains carefully and do not waste any of the liquid coming off. Place grain sack in a colander or strainer over brew kettle and slowly and carefully pour 1 quart of 170F sparge water over the grains.

This rinses out many usable sugars and gives you better efficiency. When finished you may throw the grains away. (if you have a reusable nylon bag remember to just dump the grains and wash thoroughly)

8. Add first wort hops. Add 1 Oz of Styrian Goldings. Add more water if necessary to achieve final boil volume with evaporation loss calculated in.

9. Bring to a boil (be careful of boil-over at this point. A clean water spray bottle works great for keeping the 'hop foam' under control.)
- Add 0.25 Oz Saaz hops. Boil 60 min.
At last 15 minutes of boil:
- Add 0.75 Oz Saaz hops,
- 3.3 lb Pilsner LME,
- 3.0 lb of extra light DME,
- 2.0 lb of clear Belgian candi sugar (homemade, see link below for recipe),
- 1 tsp Irish moss,
- 4 tsp yeast nutrient.

Note: If you are using an immersion wort chiller, now is the time to place it in the boiling wort to sanitize it. Another method would be to soak it in a StarSan solution.

10. At flame-out, add 0.5 Oz of crushed coriander, and 1 Oz of orange peel.

11. Chill your wort to between 60F-75F if possible. It is better to have a cooler wort and pitch cold and let the fermenter warm up than to have it warm and produce fusel alcohols in the early stage.

12. Pitch your pre-smacked Wyeast package or yeast starter into the cooled wort. Add a blow-off tube or airlock and place in an appropriate temp, dark place.

Note: I would recommend a yeast starter a day or two before the brew session due to the high gravity.

13. Primary ferment for 7-14 days. A consistent gravity reading over 3 days will tell you when it is time to rack to secondary.

14. Secondary ferment for 2 months to condition.

15. Keg or bottle as usual and allow a minimum of 3 weeks aging/carbonating before consuming. This beer will get better over time and will develop character.

Homemade Belgian candi sugar:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/sugarguidelines.pdf

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.752

I'm making a high strength Wit with this yeast now. 6 gal at 1.075. Smacked the pack, let it grow at 72 deg 24 hrs, then pitched into a 1.5L starter (1g Bav Wheat ME/10ml) on a stir plate at 72 for 12hrs. I've kept it at (still fermenting) at 68 but it went nuts, blowing over at 12 hrs. Banana can be completely subdued by pitch rate and temp just like 3068. Down from 1.075 to 1.020 at 72 hrs. Produces a lot of sulfur that is eaten w age. Tasted at 1.020...nice phenolics, light esters as well, very low banana.

Wait.. Y'all mean to tell me that forbidden fruit gives off fruity flavors?

No. Way. :D

I have lots of sulfur smell at day 2. It reached my final gravity at day 2 as well. I fermented at 64 witch seems a lot lower then most of you.

Back