What beer(s) have you lost interest in since homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I find the more I drink Sam Adam's the more I feel like it's German hop water. This may be blasphemy on the east coast but I just don't find their stuff at all complex or even that good any longer.

With that said I have probably by 3rd Boston Lager clone fermenting as we speak.

I used to really love Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Then, I had one a month or two ago, and it really just wasn't that special. Meanwhile, I have a Dunkelweizen, a Pfirsichweizen, and a Weizenbock in bottles. :mug:

I have become a lot more interested in subtle beers like a well made Helles or Pilsner and complex low gravity beers. Those are the beers that are true works of art, there is nothing hard about making a Barleywine or 300 IBU sticky IIIIPA.

Oh and sour ales, good god they are my reason to live

edit: too be clear I guess I kind of answered the question backwards. But yeah, before learning on an intimate level how beer was made I thought RIS and BDS and the like were the pinnacle of beer. It's a pretty common mistake when you don't know what goes into making beer first hand, just take a look at the level of misinformation and ignorance that permeates beer rating websites.

Thinking about it, I havnt lost interest in any beers. I've never met a beer I didn't like, at least on some skewed grading scale. I have instead gained appreciation for more complex brews. I always loved good beer, but now I know why.

I used to think Hale's Ales brewers walked on water. Their O'Brien's Harvest Ale and Moss Bay Extra were two favorites.

Now, unless I see Mongoose IPA at Costco, I hardly ever drink the stuff.

Being a hop head was wht got me home brewing in the first place. My buddy and I brewed a lot of IPA for a while and then for whatever reason never got around to brewing much. Maybe 6 or so batches over a couple of years. About a year ago I decided to stary brewing more again with the intention of making some nice session beers. I'd gotten sick of all the over the top IIPAs I inevitably left the package store with. After a few extract batches I dicovered HBT and quickly jumped into AG. So, I guess, to answer the question, I wAs getting sick of the very thing that drove me to home brewing, but now I have a broader appreciation for all styles than I ever had before.

I do find that as I leaens more and more that it is the complex low gravity brews that take an artist to craft. I just brewed up my second ordinary bitter and have high hopes. The first is good, but definitely needs improvement.

there is a local brew-pub around here.

I used to go there at least once a month and would try anything and everything they made and I had my preferences and my dislikes (they always have something that the BMC crowd would like - and i never was a fan of that water) but then I started homebrewing and would make styles that I really enjoyed there and realized it tasted totally different - my beer was far better...well ALL homebrew I tasted was far better (even with blind tests). I recently found that they tend to get a lot of infections and re-use yeast - but not in the same style of beer (like a left-over belgian yeast in a scotch ale)

Boy I've learned

I have lost interest in light lagers. I used to like Beck's. It is still good, but there are so many other interesting beers out there.

I disagree about Sam Adam's, though. Boston Lager is a fabulous beer.

Bud Chelada

chelada.jpg

Seriously, I still love exploring all beers - I'm just able to be more critical (or able to understand) what I like/don't like about them.

I find the more I drink Sam Adam's the more I feel like it's German hop water. This may be blasphemy on the east coast but I just don't find their stuff at all complex or even that good any longer.

With that said I have probably by 3rd Boston Lager clone fermenting as we speak.

Sam Adams is just okay. It's mass-produced, so there you go. Brooklyn Lager is a much better "east coast" beer. I love everything they brew at that brewery!

Sam Adams is just okay. It's mass-produced, so there you go. Brooklyn Lager is a much better "east coast" beer. I love everything they brew at that brewery!

I half agree with this.. I'm not a fan of the Brooklyn IPA...

As far as this thread goes I would have to say Newcastle Brown Ale...Not that it's a great beer I just don't like it as much.. Learned what see through glass bottles can do :)

Definitely +1 to Peroni. Also DAB. I love Yuengling Lager, especially on tap at Kelly's (my local pub.) But if I have a bigger beer, or a hoppier beer FIRST, then it tastes a bit like water afterwards.

None, if anything it has gotten me to try more beers, including things that, in my pre-brewing beer snobbery, I blew off like lagers and BMC's. I've actually probably picked up more of that style of beer (macro or micro versions) than I did in the decades before brewing.

I mean I never thought I actually would appreciate ANY beer with the title "lager" now I love vienna lagers, and have even brewed some things similar to biermuncher's cream of the three crop....in other words, my own BMC-esque lagers...(though I think with more flavor and body :D)

So rather than my beer horizons narrowing, mine have expanded immensley.

Bud Chelada

chelada.jpg

Seriously, I still love exploring all beers - I'm just able to be more critical (or able to understand) what I like/don't like about them.

I've never even heard of those and I think I threw up a little bit. Where did you find them?

Back to the subject..I'm still a little new to brewing, but I don't think there will ever be a beer that I would'nt drink (except anything with clamato in it). Have never really liked lite beers (but still willing to drink them), but I don't think my all time favorites will ever change, they'll always be my favorites. Don't think I'll ever be able to turn down a Sam Adams. Even if I have something on both taps!

Guinness. I used to think this was such a great beer. But I have come to learn, while it is still a fine beer ... there is much better beers out there ... I do think I learned this before I started brewing though.

Guinness. I used to think this was such a great beer. But I have come to learn, while it is still a fine beer ... there is much better beers out there ... I do think I learned this before I started brewing though.

That;s a good point...Especially since there's much BETTER stouts out there as well.

I agree with Guiness, but I would also add Blue Moon, and most beers produced by Point (but that is a Wisconsin thing). The Bud chilada is supposed to be a take on something that is very popular in central america. When my buddy got back from Guatemala he said that they would be pounding bloody's mixed with beer like the chilada is supposed to be but it is much better with gallo and a real bloody, which i can attest to too.

I think wheat beers pused me into homebrewing,i brewed about 5 my first year.5 years later only 2. I still love em just lost intrest in makin em. I definatley wouldnt buy somthing i think i can make better and cheaper.Besides with so many styles,ingredents,and technices why stick with only one?

Like someone else said, I started brewing when i became a hophead. For a long time I didn't want anything but a REALLY hoppy beer. Now i'm starting to appreciate rich malt flavors. I had fat tire for the first time about 9 months ago and didn't like it, now i enjoy a couple of them a week. But to answer the question i never drink corona or new castle anymore. On the subject of fat tire, what malt gives it it's distinct flavor? it's similar to bass pale ale and octoberfest lagers. Is it the munich or the vienna?

Guiness was the first beer I thought of, Boston Lager would be second. I remember a time when Boston Lager was almost too much for me. It's not bad, my tastes have just changed. Now their Cream Stout is another story, that's a dynomite beer.

I used to think Hale's Ales brewers walked on water. Their O'Brien's Harvest Ale and Moss Bay Extra were two favorites.

Now, unless I see Mongoose IPA at Costco, I hardly ever drink the stuff.

Amen! I went to their brewery a few times after brewing and I have to say the beer was highly disappointing. Just plain bad. They don't adequately age their tapped beers. I now know what green beer tastes like because of homebrew. It was awful to see it in a commercial brewery. Oh well, Maritime and Big Time are close by.

I have never been a BMCer and in the earlier days I used to enjoy Guiness, (dare I say) Killians, and when Sam Adams came out with their brews I enjoyed them regularly.

Since I have started homebrewing, I have pretty much only bought - Stone IPA, DFH60, Stone Ruination, Long Hammer (in a pinch) and SN IPA. :p
I still like to brew other beers too. Haus Ale and Fat Tire are in the kegerator. (And I have more IPA in the primary)
Guess I like the IPAs huh?
-Me

Hefeweizen and wit. They are what got me into brewing and craft beer, but now I vomit at the thought of a hefe. I can still do a fantastic wit, but there are so many mediocre ones, I generally stay away.

Another avowed hop-head here, drawn to home-brewing by the thought of brewing my own version of hop-heaven. I'm finding, though, by reading books and these forums that there are a lot of beer styles that I've simply not been exposed to good examples of. I have a lot of learning yet to do and I'm eager to try new styles, but, for the time being, I'll brew the hoppy ones....

As for the OP, I no longer care much for Point Brewery or most Leninekugels beers. I can brew better (for my tastes). Likewise with Guiness, there are tastier stouts about. Newcastle and Heineken are beers that were 'supposed to be good', but I could never really stand. Hindsight proves that they are just bad examples of nice styles. I have a lot a brewing (and learning!) to do.

After I read the title to this thread, and before I read the OP, I thought to myself, Boston Lager. It is still a good beer to fall back on, but it was one of the beers that really got me interested in non-BMC stuff, then eventually into brewing. Now, it's more or less at the bottom of my list.

Whereas I can def appreciate what Tonedef said about complex low-gravs, I haven't quite matured in my beer drinking to say that I don't appreciate an RIS or IIPA, given a good beer list, I usually still go to the higher grav and/or higher hopped options.

Definitely Sam Adams. I think in the last year, I've bought their blackberry wit, Oktoberfest and winter ales respectively, and each have been a real let-down in comparison to either the local stuff or my own. I blame my exponentially expanding palate.

Guinness. I used to think it was hardcore dark stuff when people drank it and I was a bmc drinker. Now it's watery.

Way over the top beer COUGHDOGFISHHEADCOUGH

Its less impressive to me nowadays. I'd rather focus on repeat pint quaffers than 18% Imperial stout.

Come to think of it, I just plain don't drink stout very often anymore.

Any beer I didn't make. (LOL)

Frankly, I haven't lost interest in any particular beer or style. Pale ale remains my favorite style (and the one I brew most often).

As I've brewed more and tasted more homebrews, I think what I've lost interest in mostly are the attempts by homebrewers to be creative -- thus beers that have various different types of ingredients (e.g., fruit, spices etc.). I notice even in these threads that many of the more "serious" homebrewers are producing meads, cysers, wines, etc.

My interest lies in more traditional styles of beers that are well made. I enjoy exploring the subtleties of brewing techniques, and the different grains and hops and yeasts that go into making a great beer.

Shiner Bock and Guinness Draught just dont interest me any more. I swear Shiner's recipe has changed, or it could be my taste buds :)

Whereas I can def appreciate what Tonedef said about complex low-gravs, I haven't quite matured in my beer drinking to say that I don't appreciate an RIS or IIPA, given a good beer list, I usually still go to the higher grav and/or higher hopped options.
I absolutely still appreciate RIS and IIPA, I think every style has it's place. All I meant was that a lot of times when people get into craft beer they automatically turn their nose up at anything under 5% abv or 30IBUs.

You can't say DFH is over the top and not include Stone. At least DFH does crazy crap with some of their beers besides dump in more hops.

I'm not as big a fan of Saranac as I used to be, but that was pretty much the only craft beer I drank before getting into brewing (cheap and a good variety). Sam Adams isn't all that great, but I've said it before and will say it again: at least you're fairly certain to be able to get something halfway decent at any bar you go to (unless it's their seasonal on tap, in which case euck).

Latest posts

Back