OK, I'm ready to start, what should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetgorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

I've decided to take the plunge. I don't mind spending money on quality equipment. I'm thinking I'm going to start out with an all grain set-up since I have guidance on the brew process. I also know if I don't enjoy it ( i doubt that will happen) I'll donate my stuff to Crazybrew and I'll just pilfer beer from him.

So, let's say I have a $1000 budget, a $1500 budget, and $2000 budget what would you buy at the low end ($1000) and what would you add for those $500 increments.

I'm just guessing at the dollar amounts after looking at the cost of what appear to be good kettles etc after my pilgrimage to Midwest Brew Supply.

I already have a kegerator, CO2 tanks, spare fridges and several 5 gallon kegs.

if my budget numbers are way of base, please feel free to correct the assumption. thanks everybody.

i don't think your budget is slowed in any way... :confused:

If I had that kind of $$ to spend,I'd get a Blichman conical fermenter,& Blichman BK with the valve,temp guage,& sight glass.

You will have a much nicer system than most people starting out, that is for sure.

If you have a chamber big enough, you might like a conical fermenter. Easy yeast harvesting, and if stainless, then light blocking and easy cleaning to boot.

Can you go electric? I'd look at that route if you have the space and power.

First decide what size system you want. Do you want to brew more often? Then do 5 gallon batches. Do you want to brew more beer less often? Then go bigger. Decide this first, then we can help with specifics.

I think I'd be more inclined to brew more batches more often to try different recipes then maybe later once I zero in on something I like maybe larger batches but truth be told, I like all kinds of beer so maybe 5 gallon batches would keep the variety coming.

Email sent with shopping list. My recommendation is the standard 10 gallon gravity cooler all grain system. A really good brew kettle, some johnson a419's, wort aeration, and some glass carboys.

Everything else comes in sequence as you get more addicted to this. There is truly no end to the amount of stuff one can get, build, invent, etc...

I would not suggest a conical at this stage. They don't move which means you have to pump the wort which is a whole new set of stuff to deal with. Many times in brewing the KISS concept works the best.

For kegging you will need to get some 5 gallon corny kegs and some faucets or just use the picnic valves.

I saw the conical deals at Midwest. I got a 14 gal SSteel one for a $100 here at from a local I met in a bar. I guess timing karma was on my side this week. I really don't even know how to use it/what it does but after the prices I saw at midwest, $100 seemed like a steel (pun intended). Maybe I scored my first home brew deal!!!!!!

It has a heater and some cooling fans on it.

That's another cool thing with conicals. I think it was morebeer site that carries the heating & cooling blanket rig with digital controlers & everything. That's the one I really like!

Back