Slap me if I'm wrong, Skippy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
But it seems to me (with 11# of fermentables) this recipe is for a 5 gallon batch.

The destructions say to boil it with 2 gal o water. My thinking (and I've only brewed half a batch before) leads me to believe they're missing a step.

What do you think?

Also, has anyone tried this recipe, and/or do you have another lemon-wheat recipe that you've done and liked?

I think (if I can get the goodies to make this batch this weekend,) I can have it bottled on the 20th before I leave town for a month. Which means it will be just starting to get good when I get back...

B

they probably intend for you to cool the wort by adding a little under 3 gallons of cold water.

I'd personally do a late extract addition and I'd also avoid the lemon juice and do something like lemon zest instead. This would end up being a very strong, lemony beer, but beer never the less.

Cool. So I'm not totally crazy.

I like the idea of Lemony Beer. Something for end-of-summer days to remind me of full blown summer. I think I might hold out on the lemon extract until I taste it after Primary. When it gets racked to secondary I'll adjust it to taste.

I'm thinking of calling it "Last day at the Beach Lemon" So I definitely want lemon in the forefront of the palate.

What do you think?

The extracts that I'm familiar with come in 4 oz. bottles and are quite strong. You can add them directly into your bottling bucket/carboy on bottling day and two ounces will give your beer a very pronounced lemon flavor and aroma. I'm not sure why you would need lemon extract and fresh lemon juice. It just seems redundant to me, but I've never made this type of beer before. I'd do a late extract addition to keep it light, throw some lemon zest in toward the end of the boil, and go with 2-4 oz. of lemon extract on bottling day. I'm far from an expert and that's just my opinion.

Got this recipe from somewhere. I don't remember where exactly, but it made a tasty beer.

1/2 lb crystal 40L
6 lb wheat dme
2 lb honey (i used orange blossom)
1 oz cascade (60)
1/2 oz tettnang (30)
zest and juice of 2 lemons (30)
honey at flameout
american ale yeast

Back