Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sross

Reaction score
After brewing lighter ales for a while, me and my friend have decided to try something new and make an oatmeal chocolate stout. I have a couple questions though pertaining to making it.

1. How much bakers chocolate should i add to the 5 gallon batch while it is in secondary? Do i break the nibs into small pieces to increase surface area?

2. Is there a proper way to bottle condition a stout compared to the usual of dropping 3/4ths of a cup of priming sugar into the batch?

2. Is there a proper way to bottle condition a stout compared to the usual of dropping 3/4ths of a cup of priming sugar into the batch?

Each beer style has an accepted range of carbonation, which is what you add the priming sugar for (bottle condition isn't the proper term). There are a number of priming sugar calculators out there to help you with this. Here is one I use sometimes:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

The bjcp style guidelines give a range for carbonation for each style, but don't give you volumes of CO2. In the end it is up to you. If you like a highly carbonated stout then make it that way. The bjcp guideline says medium to medium-high carbonation, which is probably 2.0-2.5 volumes of CO2, but don't quote me on that. The amount priming sugar to get this level of carbonation depends on the size of the batch(5 gals?) and the temp of the beer to be carbed. And to be more accurate with the priming sugar I would measure it by weight not by volume.

Latest posts

Back