A Question about yeast and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcryguy

Reaction score
I am brewing a christmas ale. I put my dry yeast into a sanitized tuper ware with an energizer about 4 hours prior to the brew. After aerating the wort and adding the yeast, fermentation seemed to take off very quickly (around 1 hour). 48 hours passed. Now, there are only residual bubbles in the airlock, no large bubbles pushing through the airlock. Do I have a problem?

Thank you so much for the help

Nope, sounds like the bulk of fermentation is already complete. Leave it for a few more weeks and you're golden

Should I do a secondary fermentation in a glass carboy after a week in primary? If so, should I bring the temp down? All my recipe says is "storage at 52 degrees for 28 days"

I have a had a lot of vigorous fermentations that ended in a day or two. It sounds like you did a good job aerating which will really help the fermentation take off quickly.

Good luck! I hope it turns out great for you! :mug:

Should I do a secondary fermentation in a glass carboy after a week in primary? If so, should I bring the temp down? All my recipe says is "storage at 52 degrees for 28 days"

No, that is waaay too short of time in a primary. just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, secondary isn't needed

Last question I promise. NO secondary fermentation? Just bottle after a month and put in the fridge for a week or two?

Thanks a million

A lot of people here believe that secondaries are not needed. A large driver for secondaries is yeast autolysis which is closer to myth than reality. Unless you are aging for long periods (months), a secondary is not needed, and if your primary is glass, even then its not really needed at all.

Do not put your beer in the fridge right after bottling, you will not get any carbonation. the recommended minimum is 3 weeks at room temp to allow proper and full carbonation, then at least 24 hours in the fridge to properly dissolve the CO2 into the beer.

Latest posts

Back