American Wheat yeast issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooom101

Reaction score
I recently brewed an American wheat using Wyeast 1010 american wheat strain of yeast. I usually ferment in primary for about a month but would like this beer to be ready on the Fourth of July. It's been fermenting in the primary for about 7 days. The gravity reading is 1.010. It seems close to completion except for one thing: it has a thick layer of yeast sitting on top. I'm used to seeing liquid when I open a fermenter but this time I saw yeast floating on top of the liquid. A LOT of yeast. It wasn't krausen, but thick, flocculated yeast cake/slurry. Is this normal for this strain or for this style? Should I wait for the yeast to drop? Will the yeast ever drop? The beer tasted fine by the way.

Thanks as always,
Billy

I use that yeast every other batch and sevens days is how long I let it sit in the primary before bottling.

Mine is usually very cloudy but does not have a large amount of yeast floating near the top.

I would said your good to bottle are transfer to secondary based off the gravity reading.

Latest posts

Back