is this normal (carbonation question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
so i sort of messed up a little bit...the kit i just brewed with came with a 5 ounce pack of corn sugar for priming, but i forgot to subtract an ounce or so due to a mess up in siphoning my batch came out to about 4 gallons or so...so i opened my first beer just being curious 4 or 5 days after bottling, and for some reason it is fully carbonated (very green, but perfectly carbonated)...is my final product going to be way too carbonated, or will it be fine?

it'll be a little over carbed, but otherwise fine. that's not enough sugar to make bottle bombs.

just consider it a learning experience.

When people carb to style they often may have up to an ounce or more sugar than what is normally found in a batch of beer. It may be slightly over carbed, or it may be fine in 3 weeks....More than likely what you have is not true carbonation, right now, because it hasn't actually integrated with the liquid yet.

What you are probably experiencing is the same thing found in the first few minutes of the video found in my bottling blog;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/#post1030387

Once the beer is done carbing and conditioning in about 3 weeks chilling it down will pull more carbonation into solution. It should be fine.:mug:

thats why i was asking this question...because i saw the video on your blog and it said there would only be co2 in the headspace and not in the liquid...my beer has bubbles it bubbling from the bottom to the top, the head looks normal for an ipa (not very much) and the lace looks right. i was just worried because the dude in that carbonation video on your blog said there would be no bubbles in the liquid, and there are definately bubbles in this liquid and it tastes carbonated too its not flat at all it just tastes green.

thats why i was asking this question...because i saw the video on your blog and it said there would only be co2 in the headspace and not in the liquid...my beer has bubbles it bubbling from the bottom to the top, the head looks normal for an ipa (not very much) and the lace looks right. i was just worried because the dude in that carbonation video on your blog said there would be no bubbles in the liquid, and there are definately bubbles in this liquid and it tastes carbonated too its not flat at all it just tastes green.

Just relax and see how it will be in a few weeks. Nothing's really precise about carbonation, but I have added an ounce over 5 in a few beers with no consquences, just a higher more chapagne like carbonations. You won't have bottle bonms if thats what you are worried about.

Back