have i made a "summer ale" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
this is my first recipe no from a kit...

3.3LBS BRIESS LME golden light
5LBS BRIESS 2 row
.5LBS BRIESS 20 degree
.5LBS CARAPILS

steep for 60min
boil for 60min (1OZ CASCADE 6.2%a)
last 15min 1/2OZ cascade + irish moss
last 1min 1/2 OZ cascade
nottingham dry yeast

OG= 1.034

what should i expect ??

Will it be ready to drink by Summer and be an Ale? Then yup it is a summer ale.

However, it appears that your are doing a partial mash. Are you planning on sparging? 6lbs of grains is a lot to steap. Are you using Deathbrewers PM in bag method? If not, you may want to have some extra DME in case you do not hit your SG.

Looks tasty though.

However, it appears that your are doing a partial mash. Are you planning on sparging? 6lbs of grains is a lot to steap. Are you using Deathbrewers PM in bag method? If not, you may want to have some extra DME in case you do not hit your SG.

oops ! another noob mistake ?

Maybe, if you can do what is described in this thread..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

... you will be fine.

Or if you have not purchased the ingredients yet...

You can add another 3.3 lbs of LME, the (I'm assuming) Briess Crystal 20L and steep for 20 minutes @ 150F adn go extract.

6.6 lbs LME (light)
.5 Caramel 20L
.5 Carapils
1.5 oz Cascade @60
1 oz cascade @15

1.051 OG
1.012 FG
5.1 ABV.

Will get you a passable American Pale. If you are going for a Lawnmower, or session beer, drop the LME to about 5 and the hops to about .5-.75 each.

That will get about...

1.040 OG
1.009 FG
4% ABV

On a side note, you can check out www.Beertools.com. They have a free recipe generator. Pretty handy. Or spend $30ish bucks and get Beertools Pro or Beersmith, also very handy tools for building recipes.

Back