Another not carbonating (bottle conditioned) thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbow

Reaction score
I bottled my Belgian dark strong ale three weeks ago and opened one tonight and it is not at all carbonated. I primed with plenty of sugar (shot for 3.3 volume of co2) so that is not the issue.

My two questions are, 1) why did this happen?, and 2) what is the best way to solve this problem?

Why did this happen? I used a large starter and oxygenated very well and fermentation instantly went crazy. There was a lot of material getting blown off. After several days I chilled down the beer and then after a week I transferred to secondary for 7 weeks. This was exactly as explained in the recipe I was following: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147815
Is it possible not enough yeast survived the blow off, the short primary, and long secondary? I checked my gravity when transferring and before bottling and it hadn't changed at all, but I finished higher than anticipated (1.02 instead of 1.012).

What is the best way to solve this problem? My first instinct is give it more time. This is upsetting because I wanted to give a friend a few as part of a wedding present... but it looks like that won't happen regardless. My next instinct is mix some dry yeast in a little water, uncork all my bottles, put a few drops in each bottle, then re-cork with new corks. How much is enough new yeast per 750ml bottle? Does this seem reasonable or are there other possible causes/solutions? Should I worry about over carbonating because the gravity finishing higher than expected and therefore maybe not actually being finished?

Thank you for helping.

Back