Any hope of me bottling tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of a very light American ale for my dad as a Christmas gift. I was planning on bottling it tomorrow. I just realized that I don't have any corn sugar to prime with. I must have forgotten to buy some at the lhbs...and they are closed on Sunday.

Being that the lhbs is so far away from my home and I work M-F, I don't think I'll be able to make it up there until at least next weekend.

I do have some Muntons light dme that I can prime with. The problem is that my dad is picky. I want this batch to be very well carbonated and not have the typical krausen ring associated with priming with dme. Doesn't cane sugar give a cidery taste?

Is there anything else that I can use to carbonate this or am I just stuck waiting until next weekend?

Sounds like a *cough cough* sick day is in order then.

They don't happen to sell corn sugar at a health food store do they?

I've used brown sugar before with no ill effects. Was good to go after a week... Might give a very slight molasses flavor to some beers (from what I hear), but this was not evident in my batch...

Best bet is to get the corn sugar and use it if he's picky. :)

Cane sugar it is then. I was not able to make it to the lhbs and have just been waiting.

Stupid question though. Is the 5-6oz of sugar measured in weight or volume? I'm thinking weight. So far all I've used were pre-measured bags.

You know what would be incredibly useful? A volume to weight conversion table for common homebrewing ingredients, like DME, corn sugar, etc. I've looked online for one and have been unsuccessful.

Torchiest said:
You know what would be incredibly useful? A volume to weight conversion table for common homebrewing ingredients, like DME, corn sugar, etc. I've looked online for one and have been unsuccessful.

That would be incredibly useful, indeed. I wonder if the different types of DME would all have the same volume to weight conversion.

Back