Finally made good beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
that I would pay money for. Sampled my double dry-hopped IPA at only a week in the bottle, and it was awesome! I love me some C-hopped IPAs (Two-Hearted, Crooked Tree, Stone), and this fit the ticket. It was such a simple recipe, it makes me laugh. I think the key was the cooler fermentation temperatures, which I've never worried about before since I'm basementless.

If anyone enjoys any of the above beers and is interested in my recipe, let me know. I'd love to share this locally because mine is going to be gone waaayyyy to fast.

Seems that all I read on here are people with problems, so I figured I'd post a success story to give newer brewers some hope.

Congrats bro on the success. Im still looking for my "perfect" beer. I went thru an IPA phase for about a year or so. Damn they are good arent they?

congrats... yeah, the lower temps certainly helped me this winter. I went on a brewing tear for a few months as I'm in an apt.

go ahead and post your recipe. can never have too many ipa recipes to choose from in these hop challenged times.

yeah, please post the recipe.

What temp were you fermenting at? I'm brewing a pale ale right now that is probably closer to an IPA and I'm keeping it at ~62F. I have high hopes for this one.

I'm a bit embarassed, as it's so simple:

Double Dollop IPA

1lb 60L Crystal steeped for 30
7 lbs. light DME
1oz Centenial pellets and 1oz Cascade pellets for 60 min (sorry, can't remeber alpha)
1oz Cent. at 30
1oz Cascade at flameout
Safeale 05 from the pack to fermenter (no re-hydrate)

One week in primary, two in secondary, with 1oz cascade pellets for the duration and one at one week.

Fermented 60-64 degrees for the primary only, then room temp. ~70

If I had it to do over again I'd go another few days to a week in primary, as I detect a bit of dicetyl in the finished product. Then again, it's only been a week in bottles so who knows! It really doesn't detract from the flavor and is acceptable for this style.

I WILL be making this recipe again if I can find the hops without breaking the bank to get them.

Update:

The dicetyl has disappeared completely! I'll still probably give it a few more days in primary next time. I purchased the stuff to brew this one again this week. I think I'm going to swap one of the dry hop cascades with the centennial flavor addition. It's missing some of the piney aroma that I love in Two-Hearted, and I think this may be the way to get it. I still love it and will be out well before I finish another batch.

Back