Training horizontally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Received my rhizomes from DIY last week, and am currently scouting out locations for best sun to plant my Cascade, Mt. Hood, Sterling, Willamette.

I'm planning on training them horizontally along 20' of twine, partly for ease of harvest and partly for aesthetics in the back yard). Anyone do this?

Hey.

I am planning on doing the same thing. I have a very small lot and over head wires. So I plan to go straight up a pole on the coner of my house. Then split it down the front and side of my house using stakes and twine. I have a google skecthup drawing of it that I would like to share. But I don't know how to add it on here. I can email it to you though.

Bobby

Well, I finally figured out how to change the Sketchup model into a picture. Now I just have to figure out how to post it here.

I don't, but several members train the bines along a fence. The main thing to remember, keep at it. Hops will grow upwards and need to be tied back down repeatedly.

I'm going for this as well. I have two Centennials and two Cascades that I plan to have running up to the eaves of my house, but that is only about 9 feet up. At this point, I want to train them to go horizontal. I'm thinking this shouldn't be hard since there is nowhere else to go but on top of the roof, but has anyone done this before? Also, I hear that the yields are better when the bines can grow taller...is this true?

Back