SG to high for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkstashcrashes

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Style: IPA
Yeast: WLP041
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0

Grains
8.00 lb Pale 2 Row
8.00 lb Pilsner
1.00 lb Crystal 80L

Hops
2.00 oz Zues
3.00 oz Columbus

I don't know if the WLP041 will be strong enough to attenuate properly. I am looking at a SG of 1.091 when i plug it all into Pro Mash.

What do you guys think.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp041.html

That yeast is rated medium alcohol tolerance, which according to white labs can withstand 5-10% ABV, so you're probably fine there. I'd be worried about finishing high since it tops out around 70% attenuation. Maybe try WLP007 if you're looking for a well attenuating English style yeast.

Well, just so you know, I did an Imperial Stout with WLP002 recently. The OG was 1.096 and it finished at 1.030, which is right around 68% attenuation (White Labs says WLP002 also tops out at 70%) and that FG was fine for a stout, but if you're doing an IPA, 70% attenuation is going to be way high for the style.

I'd probably save the WLP041 for another day and get a packet of Notty for this beer if I were in your situation.

Back