Belgian Tripel aged over Cabernet Franc soaked wood cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I've been playing around with this idea for a little while and I think I'm going to do it at some point in the summer. It's somewhat inspired by Allagash's Victor Frankenstein and somewhat inspired by my/SWMBO's love for Cabernet Franc. We both grew up in the Finger Lakes region of NY so we've had many delicious examples.

I was thinking 2oz medium roast american oak cubes soaked in a franc for about 2 weeks, then age the tripel on the cubes for ~2-4 months to taste.

I haven't thought much about the actual recipe, more just the concept. Any thoughts?

I've been playing around with this idea for a little while and I think I'm going to do it at some point in the summer. It's somewhat inspired by Allagash's Victor Frankenstein and somewhat inspired by my/SWMBO's love for Cabernet Franc. We both grew up in the Finger Lakes region of NY so we've had many delicious examples.

I was thinking 2oz medium roast american oak cubes soaked in a franc for about 2 weeks, then age the tripel on the cubes for ~2-4 months to taste.

I haven't thought much about the actual recipe, more just the concept. Any thoughts?

Did you ever brew this? Sounds delicious.

Did you ever brew this? Sounds delicious.

No, but it's been lurking in the back of my mind for a good while. I have a plan to finally do it in the fall with grape skins. I think that will work better than oak/wine (I think it could get oxidized and weird). I might use some grape must, but for now I'm thinking just the skins will be good. There's a place somewhat nearby that sells fresh juice and skins every season, though apparently getting the skins requires a reservation plus a bit of luck.

Back