Question about cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Is this recommended for all types of beers?

I have an I.P.A. that has been fermenting 2 weeks. (1 in primary, 1 in secondary) This is my first brew, so forgive my stupidity but...

How cold do you crash to, and is now the appropriate time to do so??

Thanks for any help you guys could give me.

As a recent newbie - (about a year of brewing under my belt) I too was confused about Cold Crashing.

Basicly, It is not required.

Do you have a kegorator or a Frig that you can store your carboy in? Or your Keg? if you are going to keg?

If you do not, do not worry about it right now would be my advice. Concentrate on your other procedures and get those down.

Cold Crashing, (while I do it now) - helps with clearing the beer.
I also use gelatin - Search for it and look for Biermunchers thread on it. That can be used without having to crash cool and it will clear you beer.

Again, unless you really have a setup for it, I would not worry about it at this stage.

As to the types of beers, Pales, IPA's - etc but not really with Hefes for obvious reasons

My 2 cents, for all I know you might have a Kezzer already and will be all setup to do it.

Peace.
T

Back