krausen backup into airlock after 11 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a belgian wit beer that has been in primary for 11 days. I am using wyeast pitched directly from pack and fermenting at 65-70 degrees. The airlock was bubbling slow after

So it did backup into the airlock, or are you asking if it could? Its unlikely that it would happen, but its possible. I find that 99% of ales complete fermentation by 2 weeks.

Whoops didn't mean to post yet. Anyway the airlock was bubbling slow after the first day and has stayed the same. Today day 11 I came home to a backed up airlock. My question is why did it do this and should I put a blow off tube on? I have not taken any hydrometer readings yet except for og.

Subscribed.

I have a Belgian session that is still bubbling slowly on Day 12. I used Wyeast 3787.

Edit: only mine was violent for the first four days. Had to use a blowoff tube.

I always use blow off tubes...they are easy and will save you when your brew decides to get a little crazy. Yes I would get one on there. Sounds like a nice healthy fermentation.

I just did a wit using wlp 400,it took 13 days to fully ferment and still had a touch of krausen on it when I checked it today (day 21).it seems belgian yeasts like to take their time.

Your krausen is probably about ready to drop. I'd clean out the lock and refill, put it back on and wait a couple more weeks. The need for a blow off has passed I think.

I cleaned out the airlock and put it back on. Within 10 minutes the airlock was full of krausen again. I put a blow off tube on and went to bed. The air lock smelled like really good belgian yeast. I am excited to try this batch. I guess because the yeast is top fermenting it just took awhile to reach the top of my bucket.

Back