Help with Sparge Water Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley-Davidson

Reaction score
I'm doing my first AG batch right now and I need some help.

I'm brewing Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale, I'm mashing 10.5# of grain in 18 qts at 152F.
I calculate I"ll need another 11 qts for sparging, what I need to know is what temp should the sparge water be?

I started with 14 qts but missed my temp on the low side and needed to add another gal to hit 152F. I'm assuming .115 gal/lb absorbed by the grain, and when I tested my MLT there was only about a cup left behind.

Your sparge water should always be 170-175, regardless of volume.

Something to think about for next time (or this time if you want to try):

I would use more than 11 qts for sparging, maybe 13 or 14 qts. I usually shoot for 6.5-7 gals in the kettle, so I can get 5.5 gals into the fermenter. With the volumes you gave, you'll have ~ 18 + 11 - 5 = 24 qts = 6 gals in the kettle. That will get you about 5 gals in the primary, maybe a little less. It won't hurt anything, but you may only have 4-4.5 gals after fermentation when you rack it off the trub. If you find your final volume is low, you'll know to add a little more sparge water next time.

Good luck!

I was thinking the mash should be 170 so the sparge water would need to be hotter, thanks for the clarification.

I was shooting for 6 gals, but I think I will add a little more.

Thanks for the reply :mug:

True, you can do a mash out to raise the entire mash to 168-170, but it's not necessary. Sparging with 170-175 will be fine. Dork around with a mash out next time if you want to give it a try. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I'm not sure it makes much difference to be honest.

Latest posts

Back