filtering problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Houston, we got a problem and need help. I have a therminator and am gravity feeding my wort into it. I do have hop bags etc and just want one last filter before racking. I bought one of those monster 10 ich splash free funnels with screen in bottom that fits into carboy which is TALL as it is 6.5 gallon beast. Thus, even with short out tubing from therminator I cant keep the prime as high as the carboy/funnel. Bummer cause I want to filter. Any suggestions as I dont want to run my march pump to do the job. Thanks. doc

I hope you are asking about one last filter before passing it through the therminator. If so have you thought about a hopback between the kettle and chiller. therminators notoriously clog with any kind of hop material and is probably partially clogging with coldbreak since you seem determined not to use your pump. Therminators don't work very well gravity fed.

I don't understand? Are you saying the filter (screen) on the bottom of the funnel gets clogged up, or that your flow out of the Therminator is too slow?

EDIT: LOL, beat me to it beerthirty.

Why not put a hole in the side to a level where gravity can do the job. put a barbed fitting on the side, plug , and away you go.

Well, It is hard to form an opinion based on the OP, in all fairness. I wish docmoran could elaborate on what he does in his process so we can help him out. I love my Therminator but it is a tricky lil' sumb!tch. LOL

I'm saying to put a hole in the side of the funnel. It sounds like the funnel is too tall for this setup. So he needs to either raise the brew kettle is too low for gravity to push wort through the funnel. If there was a hole in the SIDE of the funnel that wort could be fed into then maybe gravity could do the work without having to get a pump. Just thinking out loud.

IMHO, gravity feeding a plate chiller is a big enough pain already nevermind filtering the output. You're giving up the ability to have more tubing drop for a better siphon by ending it up on top of the fermenter. Why are you worried about a little cold break in the fermenter?

Back